JimR

7E Late Season Bull Elk Hunting

Hello, I just moved to Flagstaff and recently put in for the 7E last season bull hunt (12/1-12/7 I believe). I put in for this hunt because of its proximity to Flagstaff and high draw odds. I have only previously shot a cow in 7W so this will hopefully be my first Bull hunt. I have heard that this unit doesn't have the greatest elk population so I wanted some opinions of others who have hunted this unit. I also would like to start getting to know this unit so any information on areas I should start with would be very useful. I have read what azgfd posted about the hunt  but I am curious what you guys have had success with. If you have any info you are willing to share post it on here or PM me if you would rather not have it public. Thank you.

Welcome to Flag.  Good luck in the draw.  I have lived in Flag for almost 30 years, but have never applied for elk in 7E, so have no first hand experience with that late elk hunt.

Buy a FlatLines map of 7E and get to know remote areas (water) that might hold elk the end of November (your hunt probably starts the day after Thanksgiving) ...

not to bum you out but I'd buy an OTC tag before I'd put in for that hunt again.

Good luck on the draw!

james

• Like 1

Plenty of elk in 7E.  You need to do a little homework, but a decent bull can be had with a little work.  Check out north near the 9/7e boundary.  Only a few spots to glass from but they can be productive with patience.  

11 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

Welcome to Flag.  Good luck in the draw.  I have lived in Flag for almost 30 years, but have never applied for elk in 7E, so have no first hand experience with that late elk hunt.

Is there a reason why in 30 years you've never put in for 7E? Do you have a preferred unit?

1 minute ago, AZ513 said:

Is there a reason why in 30 years you've never put in for 7E? Do you have a preferred unit?

I drew a unit 9 archery bull tag back in 92, got hooked on the unit, and have pretty consistent in applying for 9 as it offers a better chance at good bull compared to the other local units.  I have had a couple unit 8 tags though.

3 minutes ago, Red Rabbit said:

I drew a unit 9 archery bull tag back in 92, got hooked on the unit, and have pretty consistent in applying for 9 as it offers a better chance at good bull compared to the other local units.  I have had a couple unit 8 tags though.

Ahh gotcha makes sense.

If you get drawn let me know; I found bulls everyday during my cow hunt this year.

• Like 1

7E is tough. Game and fish over hunted the unit on purpose after the peaks fire and really brought down the elk numbers. They have started to reduce the number of permits in 7E, but it is going to take awhile for populations to recover. 

The unit holds elk, and a decent elk can be had if you do your homework and get lucky. 

Weather plays a huge roll in where the elk will be as well as water. If we have a good monsoon water will be easy. If it stays warm late you could find elk all the way from the peaks to any of the unit borders. If it gets cold and snowy they will probably drop out into the more open areas to get lower and stay warmer. 

On 2/16/2020 at 11:38 PM, JimR said:

Hello, I just moved to Flagstaff and recently put in for the 7E last season bull hunt (12/1-12/7 I believe). I put in for this hunt because of its proximity to Flagstaff and high draw odds. I have only previously shot a cow in 7W so this will hopefully be my first Bull hunt. I have heard that this unit doesn't have the greatest elk population so I wanted some opinions of others who have hunted this unit. I also would like to start getting to know this unit so any information on areas I should start with would be very useful. I have read what azgfd posted about the hunt  but I am curious what you guys have had success with. If you have any info you are willing to share post it on here or PM me if you would rather not have it public. Thank you.

JimR,

That time of year bulls are pretty banged up from the rut and are looking for cover, food, and water where they are most protected from pressure and weather. That is an easy draw hunt and those bulls are more than likely right now in the same areas they were late November. If it were me I'd get a good topography map, find some vantage points, and glass. Look for canyons with good cover and food well off the beaten path. I would observe from a distance as those bulls don't need anymore stress this time of year. Good luck, Mark

• Like 2