Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

When did arrows get so crazy expensive??

So, I dusted off my Mathews Drenalin and restrung it at Bear Mountain this week.  I went to buy some more arrows and wow, they have gotten crazy expensive since last time I bought.  I have a few 5575 Gold Tip arrows, and was thinking about buying some more.

Where do you all buy your arrows, and what should I get?  $10 or more per arrow just seems super high..or perhaps I am just out of step with the times!

• Like 1

Ya same here, I buy used or bare and build myself. The other deal is I hooked my buddy up at local shop with 500.00 in new rest and site and got hit with a 50.00 labor charge so my brain says no more of that,,, built my own press , draw board, paper, etc and now just do everything myself. DIY strings as well. Just hate paying for something I can do. Made me a better shot as well as I spent 400.00 or so to save maybe 100.00. Haha

• Like 1

Cabelas 55-70# shoot just fine.

• Like 1

Find me anything hunting related that isn't expensive.  That's just the world we live in. Gotta pay to play.  Can't even go sit down with a small family and have a nice dinner without spending a lot of money.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, buckmaster21 said:

Camo fire has a lot of different arrows on there right now

Just saw and was gonna say the same thing.

• Like 1

I'm dreading replacing my beloved Easton Axis NTs.  They've been durable and accurate and cost me less than $100/dozen.  I don't envy you and I'm not looking forward to that day.

As much as I hate to agree with northAZarcher in public, nothing hunting-related is cheap anymore.

It got expensive the Day my Daughter go into it. but she bought all her own stuff.

think hunting arrows are expensive try easton x-10's looks like they came down in price a hundred or so in the last 3-4 years.

I like gold tips there supper accurate, havent shot them my self but daughter has about 6 dozen of them at the house.. I shoot FMJs as I dont like Carbon arrows there good enough for me and hunting.

one thing while most think they can fletch it takes time to learn the technique and good tools are a must, not the cheesy plastic ones either. most factory fletched arrows from the main suppliers are way better than a guy can do with his own tools at home. Unless of course you have experience in fletching and shoot lots of arrows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IA Born said:

I'm dreading replacing my beloved Easton Axis NTs.  They've been durable and accurate and cost me less than $100/dozen.  I don't envy you and I'm not looking forward to that day.

As much as I hate to agree with northAZarcher in public, nothing hunting-related is cheap anymore.

About time you start coming around!  

1 hour ago, northAZarcher said:

About time you start coming around!  

When's the last time I heard from you? 🤐

You get what you pay for when it comes to hunting gear..... including arrows. I used to shoot the basic Sportsman’s Vital T arrows or whatever they are like $70 per dozen. Seemed like I was always having flyers and looking for lost arrows a lot. Struggling to get better......

I started drinking the Dudley cool aid bought a jig and started building arrows. There was a learning curve when I started, but after about 2 dozen I started getting the hang of it and can now make a consistent quality batch.  I shoot Easton axis 5mm with brass inserts and AAE Max Hunter veins (4fletch). Material cost is about $13 per arrow, that’s b4 I screw a broad head on. About $18 per shot on animals. 

One thing I think is very important is a heavy front of center. The weighted inserts helped just as much as good shafts. I loose way less arrows because I don’t miss the target as much. I’ve  had less missed and more kills, partially because I’m shooting better quality more consistent arrows. You get what you pay for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ_SAWBUCK said:

You get what you pay for when it comes to hunting gear..... including arrows. I used to shoot the basic Sportsman’s Vital T arrows or whatever they are like $70 per dozen. Seemed like I was always having flyers and looking for lost arrows a lot. Struggling to get better......

I started drinking the Dudley cool aid bought a jig and started building arrows. There was a learning curve when I started, but after about 2 dozen I started getting the hang of it and can now make a consistent quality batch.  I shoot Easton axis 5mm with brass inserts and AAE Max Hunter veins (4fletch). Material cost is about $13 per arrow, that’s b4 I screw a broad head on. About $18 per shot on animals. 

One thing I think is very important is a heavy front of center. The weighted inserts helped just as much as good shafts. I loose way less arrows because I don’t miss the target as much. I’ve  had less missed and more kills, partially because I’m shooting better quality more consistent arrows. You get what you pay for. 

Interesting.  thanks for the thoughts.