Big Browns

Colorado Mule Deer options

I currently have 5 points in Colorado for deer.  I'm not sure if I have enough points to draw a decent unit.  If someone who is familiar with Colorado could give me a call I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Adam

928-595-1554

I’m gonna hijack the heck out of this thread and say the same thing but for 20 deer points.  I know there’s some good hunts but now I’m scared to burn them!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Browns said:

I currently have 5 points in Colorado for deer.  I'm not sure if I have enough points to draw a decent unit.  If someone who is familiar with Colorado could give me a call I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Adam

928-595-1554

With the big date shift coming up next year I’d try for a tag this year that traditionally takes 6-7 points as they might slump a bit with people anticipating the later dates in 2021.  Or pick a unit that takes 3-4 and burn your 6 points next year and get a later tag for the price of an earlier tag.  That’s what I’m thinkin of doing.   PS- I’ll keep you in the loop when MT deer is due.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

With the big date shift coming up next year I’d try for a tag this year that traditionally takes 6-7 points as they might slump a bit with people anticipating the later dates in 2021.  Or pick a unit that takes 3-4 and burn your 6 points next year and get a later tag for the price of an earlier tag.  That’s what I’m thinkin of doing. 

The later rifle dates take effect this coming season (2020). I would error on the opposite side expecting a traditionally 6 point hunt to take 7 this time around.

1 hour ago, high rise hunter said:

The later rifle dates take effect this coming season (2020). I would error on the opposite side expecting a traditionally 6 point hunt to take 7 this time around.

The way the 4 year season structure lays 2021 is significantly later then this year.  So yes you are correct that the new season structure starts this year, but the 2020 dates are the earliest they will ever be.  2021 has second rifle season going until November 7 and 4th rifle going till the end of November.  It will be a huge change and a lot of people will sit this year out in anticipation.  

• Like 1

So it’s essentially two things at play, a policy change starting in 2020 pushing all the dates back, but due to 4 year calendar change, it starts out on the earliest timeframe it will ever be thus effectively negating the policy change for one year.  Then in 2021 the policy change from this year lands on the latest dates the calendar allows which is the perfect storm, essentially turning the new 2nd season into a third season, new 3rd into a 4th and the new 4th season into a slaughter fest.   I anticipate a lot of people will hold off this year in anticipation of 21 but maybe most people don’t dig into it as deep as I do?   I do know that point creep is gonna explode in 2021.  

• Wow! 1

I live in Colorado.   Later seasons will be for 2021.    Although any tag is better than no tag 2021 will be a great 3rd season,  and 4th is probably gonna be a slaughter on our big bucks with the 4th season running through thanksgiving in their peak rut.    I do believe a lot of people are gonna bank their points this year to get a tag next year. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

So it’s essentially two things at play, a policy change starting in 2020 pushing all the dates back, but due to 4 year calendar change, it starts out on the earliest timeframe it will ever be thus effectively negating the policy change for one year.  Then in 2021 the policy change from this year lands on the latest dates the calendar allows which is the perfect storm, essentially turning the new 2nd season into a third season, new 3rd into a 4th and the new 4th season into a slaughter fest.   I anticipate a lot of people will hold off this year in anticipation of 21 but maybe most people don’t dig into it as deep as I do?   I do know that point creep is gonna explode in 2021.  

Very interesting, a 2020 date push back leading up to a bigger 2021 push back. (I don't rifle hunt so hadn't looked that closely). I agree with you, 2021 will definitely see a huge jump in applicants. I still think 2020 could see additional applicants (like you said those that haven't dug as deep or those jumping on the "last year of CO quality bucks" train). Time will tell.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I’m gonna hijack the heck out of this thread and say the same thing but for 20 deer points.  I know there’s some good hunts but now I’m scared to burn them!!  

What are you scared of? Going on a hunt?? Everyone's saying CO is not what it used to be. After this year and next year the Gand F will have the state completely screwed up so I would try to burn them now. Call Carter and see what he says. That guy knows more about it than anyone.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AZkiller said:

What are you scared of? Going on a hunt?? Everyone's saying CO is not what it used to be. After this year and next year the Gand F will have the state completely screwed up so I would try to burn them now. Call Carter and see what he says. That guy knows more about it than anyone.

I’m gonna dump them next year.  I’m thinking 44 2nd season (currently takes like 9 points so I think I’d be ahead of the game with 21) and take advantage of the new season dates essentially making it a 3rd season.  Or 67 4th season and take advantage of the really late dates. 

• Like 1

This year will be good too.... dates are 4 days later this year than last, which will help things.

but agree with others that people will want to hunt in 2021.

i would hunt 67 4th over 44 2nd all day. 

To the OP... early archery or rifle is still probably the best time to kill a big buck because you can scout ahead of time. But what type hunt are you looking for?