Flatlander

Suppressor-Where to start

9 minutes ago, bigorange said:

What’s a ballpark price for the whole thing? Trust, can, etc...

If I remember correctly all in was like 12-1300.  Add another $200 for each additional brake for each rifle that the can would attach to.  In my opinion thunderbeast is the way to go. You throw a brake on each rifle and swap the can as needed.  Best case scenario for a father of 5.  

• Like 2

It varies depending on the suppressor.   Generally speaking the tax stamp is $200.  If you chose to do the kiosk, its a $35 fee.  Which includes the cost of your fingerprints.  The price of the Suppressor 500 and up. 

• Like 2

In the last two months, I have seen both trusts and individual between 6-11mo.  6-9 months ago, individuals were 3-4mo while trusts were 8-10mo.  The caveat is, past wait times do not predict what wait times will be for an application submitted today.  Do not believe anyone that says they know what wait times will be.  I can tell you that submitting an ATF application now, at least gets you in line, and that not submitting an app is a sure way not to get an approval.

• Like 3

I have two purchased, and all paperwork complete.  ATF has cashed my tax stamp checks.  Just a waiting game now.  

Thunderbeast Ultra 7 in 6.5mm for use with my 6CM, 25 SST, 6.5SLR, 6.5SS shorty

Thunderbeast Ultra 9 in .308 for use with my 6.5SS, .280AI, 7RM.  Can easily handle every rifle the Ultra 7 will too.

Both TOMB (thread over muzzle brake) install.  I also purchased two extra TB CB (compact brake) for other rifles to easily switch as needed.

Just started a short 6.5SS build specifically for a hunting rifle to use the TBAC Ultra 7.  Rifle will be ready by hunting season, but not sure if my suppressor will be in by then.  

I bought the .30 cal Omega with the quick change unit a few years ago. I love the suppressor and found for me the quick detach was too heavy on the end of the barrel for me. I use it direct thread with thread adapters for 300 black out, .223 AR15 and Savage model 11 .270 WSM. I use high temp grease to LIGHTLY grease the treads and it stays tight until I'm ready to change guns. I can change easily at the range in no time at all.

One thing you'll need to check is your rifle zero before and after screwing 11 ounces on the end of your barrel. Mine all change dramatically from suppressed to non-suppressed. Average is at least 6" one way or another. Don't think you can shoot with your brake and then screw on a suppressor without sighting the gun back in- that dog won't hunt.

21BE208C-BCEB-4A37-AFB1-AC22D5A9CF3A.heic

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 5:45 AM, Flatlander said:

After seeing my son hunt with a suppressed rifle for the first time this fall I realize this is hands down the way to hunt, especially for kids.

A few questions I have as I try to get started:

- If I don’t have a trust set up can I use my can on multiple rifles legally?

- Without a trust I believe only the registered owner of the suppressor can technically shoot the suppressed rifle. Is that correct?

- I am hoping to purchase a single suppressor for use across several rifles. It looks like the best way to be able to do this is to install a flash suppressor with quick detach on each rifle and then quick-connect to that. Is that the best approach? Or is there a way to just install a quick-connect without the flash hider?

- Any recommendation on a can for such an application?

Anywhere that has the SilencerShop Kiosk is likely to be a good option and the Single Shot Trust is the way to go at only $25.  The whole process is very easy with the kiosks and takes about 30min total, which is a fraction of the time it took for me to make the move (years).  Many shops will allow you to run your can/s after purchase in their facility or at a scheduled time, calling it a conjugal visit - kinda funny.  ATF cashed my check back in July and it's just been hurry up and wait since.  I was hoping to be good to go for javi season but should be able to safely say that I'll have them by the Fall for deer. 

I went with the OMEGA .300 and an Osprey .22 by SilencerCo and I'm not sure exactly which one I'm more excited for.  Can't speak to either other than look and feel at this stage.  

Hunting suppressed with the kids was had me finally make the investment.  Total game changer them not having to fuss with the earplugs and then also being able to quietly communicate with them while setting up and through execution of the shot.  Get on it while your interest is peaked and then forget that you just unloaded a wad of cash for a likely 7-12mo wait!

• Like 1

I'm fairly new into it. I have one .22 can and I'm waiting for my "everything" can. At least for your first suppressor I would get one that you can use on multiple weapons, I wish I would have done it that way the first time. I'm right at 11 1/2 months right now. 

Contact me if you have any other questions.