Sign in to follow this  
azdbllung

Advice wanted - crazy gun sale

I sold a gun outside of this group a month ago. 2 days I got a text from the guys Mother stating the guy shot himself im the head (suicide) 12hrs after he bought it from me. Now she is saying she wants to meet with me and talk. I have no idea what this lady would want to talk about since this was merely a transactional engagement. Part Of me can understand wanting to talk to the last person my son interacted with but the other part of me thinks this lady or her family may be completely crazy and try to pull something on me out of irrational emotions, if you get what I mean...

Advice would be greatly appreciated. What would you do in this situation? 

Also, he was of age (21). I’m being texted from his cell phone (mother is texting from it). They know my phone number and can obviously find my address from it. He was going to school here and the Mother and family lives back in Illinois. Supposedly having a memorial for him in a few weeks here in Phx. 

Would you change phone numbers? 

What a horrible tragedy if what she is telling you is true.  That being said, I'd be very leery of any conversations with the family of the deceased in fear of some kind of future litigation. 

You weren't a friend of this kid.  you didn't know him.  If he hung himself with a rope, would she go to Ace hardware and try to strike a conversation with the fellow that sold him the rope? 

Maybe I sound heartless, but If I were you, I wouldn't meet her.

• Like 16

52 minutes ago, eddielasvegas said:

"I'm sorry for your loss.  I see no need to meet."

Good luck,

Eddie

And make sure you ask How much to buy the gun back after all he isnt sing it anymore.

Stay the f'k away Shes a liberial and hates guns, she is going to blame you and put a guilt trip on you. Dont talk to her at all. if she persists block her phone number. if there was a problem the cops would have gotten ahold of you by now.

• Like 3

Negative 👎 I would not talk to them. Sorry but that is just screaming trouble. Sad deal for sure.

• Like 7

Wow, if true what a tragedy.  I agree with all the other posters.  Nothing to be gained for her or yourself.

• Like 3

I had a similar situation while I managed a gun store.  It actually happened 3 times that I'm aware of.One was literally in the car just minutes after and I spoke with the family on scene.  Just was shock but no follow up conversation. One was a murder suicide an hour later that I had spent an hour with them picking out the gun, holster, etc   never even occurred to me was a possibility.  and one was the mother bringing the gun back to the store to remove it from her life.  Very difficult conversation but she was just grief stricken. In today's world though and given a choice, I would opt out. Good luck. That's a hard one.  I would consult a lawyer if you decide to.  

• Like 4

Bad situation all around. At a minimum, if you did not do a signed bill of sale, and both had a copy, then it would be a very wise decision to seek out legal advice in advance. 

7 hours ago, Latestartchase said:

I would have a good talk to a lawyer first. Cover all bases. 

This, unfortunately that is the world we live in now.