Sign in to follow this  
azdbllung

Advice wanted - crazy gun sale

No way to verify age unless you are trained to spot fake IDs or imposter IDs.  I've gone thru countless hours of training and it's still hard. We seize hundreds of fake/imposter IDs a week. 

The fake ones are getting harder and harder to detect, and the imposter IDs are real IDs with just a imposter (look alike) using them.  

And nowadays these fake/imposter IDs are cheap and easily obtained!

To expect a civilian to be able to see if they are looking at a legit ID is ludicrous.  You better take a picture or make a copy of what they showed you! It might come in handy one day when a kid uses a fake ID to buy a gun from you!

I'm sure she is wondering what his state of mind was or if he mentioned something she could relate too and wanting some closure. You might want to ask her not to contact you and your're sorry for her loss and leave it at that.

I imagine a lot of things are going through your mind.

• Like 2

yes he will.

once you talk to her at all, you invited unwanted drama into your life. unless you like drama dont even reply. your not being Rude or cold. Block that Number dont change your number if you do send her the f'n bill for your inconvience cost and time.

I

• Like 1

Poor lady more than likely just wants some answers and closure. You were probably one of the last people he talked to.  However, you cant trust anyone these days. I would avoid her. You have no way of knowing her intentions. 

• Like 3

No.  Don't respond.  Block it.

Hopefully you did see an ID and it was an AZ DL or ID.

Good people always want to assume the very best in others.  Unfortunately, in today's society this kind of thinking/action is seldom rewarded.  First off, you assume the text was from his mother, but it could be from anyone - including the family's attorney.  Yes, she may only want some answers or closure, but given what you have already told us, you will be unable to provide that to her.  On the other hand, she may want to know why you would sell a gun to him when he was obviously unstable (perhaps obvious to her but nobody else).  You can't help her, but you can hurt yourself.  Absolutely no direct contact.  Assume the best, but always expect and plan for the worst.  If she really wants to know something, she will find your address and send you a letter - at which time you should take it to legal counsel before doing anything else.

• Like 5

Terrible situation.  As stated before, I would contact an attorney for advice before any further contact with the mother.

If you do make the judgement to speak with her, record the conversation with your cell phone. Id also suggest doing the same while selling guns privately. Puts you in a position to demonstrate the sale was conducted properly and that you checked whether the person should be allowed to purchase a firearm in the first place (That plus a bill of sale). 

Sorry you’ve been put in this spot.  You’ll be wise to remove any empathy from your decision making process.