Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

Shot before

Took two of my boys out Friday morning in the nasty wind and rain- was pretty chilly glassing at daylight - but we managed to find a group and me and the youngest were able to put two down and an hour latter drummed up another and not to be outdone by his little brother , my other son was able to get one as well . 

the crazy part was - it had been shot before - we didn’t know until skinning but The right  bullet is my sons  243 - the left bullet appears to be a 22, ..... the “22” bullet just went through the skin and mushroomed against the shoulder blade - no telling how long it has been in the pig just under the skin - zero penetration - 
My sons bullet went through the pig from the opposite side stopped just under the skin before exciting  - both bullets were touching and appeared to be one bullet when digging them out . But as we dug them out could see they were actually two bullets . His new and an old one .

50759184-7C23-4E02-81D1-2F81D0C9F07F.jpeg

A734588F-7740-45F2-A016-DB8C3470F8A8.jpeg

CDF34E26-5FBA-4DC2-967E-3E2DC2312806.jpeg

• Like 11

Is it possible one is the core and the other is just the copper jacket? If not were there powerlines nearby?

Either way congrats to the boys!

• Like 1

It was grizzled over with scar tissue and the didn’t look very good - so we cut that part out - Yea all of ours had exited up to this point - I wonder if the old bullet - and the thicker scar tissue is what stopped it from exiting and it was and angled shot so  went in about last rib and angled all the way though and went through shoulder blade on opposite side and stopped at the bullet ....

Kev - no you can see the lead inner core all musheroom out at the base of true copper ... and there was old scar tissue grizzly stuff around it . 

17 minutes ago, tomgobbler said:

It was grizzled over with scar tissue and the didn’t look very good - so we cut that part out - Yea all of ours had exited up to this point - I wonder if the old bullet - and the thicker scar tissue is what stopped it from exiting and it was and angled shot so  went in about last rib and angled all the way though and went through shoulder blade on opposite side and stopped at the bullet ....

Kev - no you can see the lead inner core all musheroom out at the base of true copper ... and there was old scar tissue grizzly stuff around it . 

Right on. Probably some idiot Either trying to poach or just an a hole that shoots at anything they see when out plinking. Congrats to the boys.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 7:01 PM, oz31p said:

Unfortunately 22mag is a legal weapon for javelina 

A kid I knew when I was young killed his first javelina with a 22 mag. 

I boned one out I shot years ago that had several lead shotgun pellets throughout the meat. Thought  I got em all but ended up breaking a tooth on one.