yotebuster

The official “I didn’t get jack shoot” thread

It is march madness. Could we have a little violying music please.  A guy told me that he got an early rifle elk in unit 1 on his fifth choice.  The whinn with the music is the same every year, WE NEED TO CHANGE THE SYSTEM SO IT IS MORE FAIR TO ME MEME MEEEEEE.  😭 

I don't want to start an argument here but, it seems to me we hear guys calling for a waiting period every year now.  Sure, some people get lucky.  But most people that draw a lot of tags are applying for hunts that are lower in demand, the ones that the "trophy hunters" don't want, ie. late archery tags, cow tags, low tier or mid tier units.  People that just want to hunt, aren't willing to wait 10, 15, 20+ years for a tag.  In my opinion, if you are putting in for very difficult hunts to draw, because you want to shoot a trophy or nothing, you know what you are getting into.  Aside from that, tags are getting harder to draw for a variety of reasons.  The population in AZ keeps climbing and more and more people are applying here from all over the country(and world) for a chance at a big bull or buck.  More applicants = lower odds.  My family has had pretty good luck drawing tags, but I do a lot of research and try to apply for easier to draw hunts.  If you want an early rifle or archery bull tag in the units that take a ton of points to draw, prepare to wait.

• Like 5

Nothing again, 23 antelope, 9 elk. They need to go back to get drawn wait 3 yrs to apply again..

• Like 1

I like the squaring the points idea, that way there is still random tag hope, but we also actually give better odds to people with more points. Look at the odds for 0 points vs 1 point under the max pool, it's not much of a change.

• Like 1

Looks like 10 straight years of the skunk for me. Tough to swallow at 70 years of age. Hope I get another tag before its time for the "happy hunting ground".  😭

I've proposed making the system fairer many times in the past with the squaring the bonus point suggestion. Unfortunately it seems the hunter population prefers the element of luck over the fairer system when bonus points might count more.

1 hour ago, ThomC said:

It is march madness. Could we have a little violying music please.  A guy told me that he got an early rifle elk in unit 1 on his fifth choice.  The whinn with the music is the same every year, WE NEED TO CHANGE THE SYSTEM SO IT IS MORE FAIR TO ME MEME MEEEEEE.  😭 

Hate to tell you this, but he lied to you. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Hate to tell you this, but he lied to you. 

there is no way anyone can get a prime tag in anything but a first or second choice.  I heard the same thing years ago from an acquaintance, but it turned out he too was lying, not only about his tag, but in reality he wasn't even drawn.

1 hour ago, mc68 said:

The only truly “fair” system is Preference points. 

The ONLY fair SYSTEM is eliminating ALL bonus points making every one equal.

56 minutes ago, Heat said:

Eliminating point guard will help draw odds more than one of those deals I bet.

Thats a Start

A true fair system would be to just put in for a Elk tag and you get what is drawn wether is be early late cow bull rifle muzzy archery etc etc.

3 hours ago, Delw said:

Thats a Start

A true fair system would be to just put in for a Elk tag and you get what is drawn wether is be early late cow bull rifle muzzy archery etc etc.

That's certainly one of many options, but probably wont have much support... especially if you're a 65 year old grandmother & get issued a tag for late archery hunt when you don't even shoot a bow, or have the physical capability to hike deep rough canyons but that's what is awarded you have to accept it...

You're right about one thing however imo, draw odds will go up!

😉

2 minutes ago, 1uofacat said:

That's certainly one of many options, but probably wont have much support... especially if you're a 65 year old grandmother & get issued a tag for late archery hunt when you don't even shoot a bow, or have the physical capability to hike deep rough canyons but that's what is awarded you have to accept it...

You're right about one thing however imo, draw odds will go up!

😉

It’d work if you were able to buy/sell/trade tags.

• Wow! 1

4 hours ago, Alpinebullwinkle said:

Looks like 10 straight years of the skunk for me. Tough to swallow at 70 years of age. Hope I get another tag before its time for the "happy hunting ground".  😭

I've proposed making the system fairer many times in the past with the squaring the bonus point suggestion. Unfortunately it seems the hunter population prefers the element of luck over the fairer system when bonus points might count more.

well, not sure what you're applying for, but will assume its 27 or 1 archery bull only.  I gave up on that strategy long ago as the "odds are NEVER in your favor..." 

You could probably go almost every year if you relaxed your minimums...  just saying because life is too short to not go often.

3 hours ago, Delw said:

no it would not. someone thats been paying $13 app fees for 20 years should be better off than someone who is just starting to apply. 

• Like 6