yotebuster

The official “I didn’t get jack shoot” thread

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

You wouldn't put in if you couldn't draw, you would have the option to buy a point or Not by a point or start applying three years later and building points. Therefore not illegal.  I think that's the best option. 

Next problem would be to decide which hunts it would apply to.

there was a topic on this many years ago about the time all that USO guide shoot and non resident stuff happened, at a commission meeting I believe could have been a game and fish meeting. (it was during internet time a few boards also were talking about it). If I remember correctly G&F said per law it would be illegal because how our laws are written. our hunting and fishing Laws are unique to AZ because we dont have a DNR like most other states.

it was brought up a few times since then. I believe Ringer remembers that he was at alot of those meetings.

3 hours ago, mc68 said:

If we are talking about a completely fair system, the only one I know of is Preference points. Someone with lower number of points cannot pull a tag away from someone who has more. That’s fair and reasonable. I know it won’t happen here though...

preference points give someone/ a certain group an advantage that was the whole point of Preference points to begin with and to make sure they got the moneys from hunters every year.

I'm changing my name and sportsman's I'd number after i draw all my tags . I'm well over 20 bp for antelope and elk ,for deer I'm almost to 20  wating sucks but if all you do is put in for premium hunts its expected. Once you get to a certain amount of points you might as well play the long wating game.

• Like 2

The great thing about tag soup is, you get to go out there, hunt it like you had the tag and learn a little more as a hunter. Find someone who has the tag, help he/she out and it's almost like you had your own tag. Gotta look at the positive side of things. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Coach said:

The great thing about tag soup is, you get to go out there, hunt it like you had the tag and learn a little more as a hunter. Find someone who has the tag, help he/she out and it's almost like you had your own tag. Gotta look at the positive side of things. 

100% this!!

I'm here in the 'tag soup' thread, yet my two young adult sons both got bull tags.  Hunting with them and friends will be no less epic this fall than if I had my own tag. ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stanley said:

I'm here in the 'tag soup' thread, yet my two young adult sons both got bull tags.  

Get out of here. You don’t belong here 

• Like 2

I applied for LO hunts and can't draw. I bet if there was a 3 year waiting period for bull tags, a guy could draw every 3-5 years. Everyone acts like us that don't draw tags are only putting in for primo hunts... not the case fellas. i wouldn't complain about 4 tags in 25 years if i was only putting in for early archery/rifle. 4) mid- low tier late bull tags in 25 years is why i complain about it. For sheep you should have to apply for 10 years before your name makes it's way to the hat. it just seems like the same people draws tags every year. 

• Like 2

For about the 19th year in a row, I have drawn NOTHING for Elk.  NOTHING.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:55 PM, stanley said:

Everyone has the right to make their own choices.  Everyone has the right to put in for tough to draw units or not.  Everyone has the right to stock-pile bonus points over MANY years or not.  How is this not fair? 🙄

The "not fair" comments are appropriate in many cases simply because luck counts more than bonus points in the equation. I'll explain more in detail later

I agree that there are many different personal definitions of "fair" within our hunting group. Having said that......I believe the current system could be "fairer", or improved, if the bonus point weight in the equation had more impact than the luck impact in the existing equation. In other words...... invert the luck/bonus point impacts from the current system. That change would definitely make it "fairer" to all applicants.

During my guiding days I focused mostly on assisting those hunters with the "trophy" September tags. I guided many hunters that drew archery tags at least 2 out of every three years. I also guided one hunter that drew the trophy gun hunt (unit 27) in September with only one bonus point !!! I used to have no problem congratulating these "lucky" tag holders when I had maybe 5 personal bonus points and no tag. Now that I will have 12 bonus points and be 70 years of age I admittedly find it difficult not to whine about the system and at least explain how it could be potentially enhanced for all

26 pts for Antelope and no draw for me. There is just too many applicants in Az compared to 20 years ago and few goat tags available. Az population in 2000 was 5.13 mil. 2020 population 7.38 mil.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, muley224 said:

26 pts for Antelope and no draw for me. There is just too many applicants in Az compared to 20 years ago and few goat tags available. Az population in 2000 was 5.13 mil. 2020 population 7.38 mil.  

I have 24, my brother has 24 and my dad has 28. No lope tags again. I’m only 34 and am honestly concerned that with the current state of pronghorn in AZ combined with point creep and application increase, i might never in my lifetime draw antelope. Meanwhile, people with zero BP’s keep drawing 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I have 24, my brother has 24 and my dad has 28. No lope tags again. I’m only 34 and am honestly concerned that with the current state of pronghorn in AZ combined with point creep and application increase, i might never in my lifetime draw antelope. Meanwhile, people with zero BP’s keep drawing 

I'm witch ya. 

Nothing on my CC either, but not a surprise.  Applying for near top-tier hunts for both elk and antelope with only 7 and 14 points, respectively.  Can't complain.  I drew antelope Unit 10 back in 2005 with only 10 points.  There has been a lot of point creep since 2005, but it was still a windfall to me. 

If more of you would just stop applying, I could realize my hunting dreams a little quicker. 🙂

It’s a choice you make.  I’ve drawn 4 of one of the worst bull tags in the state, in a row.  Most people who draw it, say, “never again!”  But at least I get to go.  I’ve actually killled bulls a couple of times.  I’ve resigned that I will probably never kill a 6x6 in my life.  I’m ok with that.

• Like 1