yotebuster

The official “I didn’t get jack shoot” thread

For some of you young bucks that suggest putting in for less desirable units for the late gun hunts in early December.................it is not hunting to many of us geezers to simply drive around in the truck looking for an opportunity to jump out of the truck and shoot a spike bull for meat. The late hunts are definitely more desirable to the younger crowd, and "less fair" to the older hunters that are less mobile and can't withstand the elements as well at that time of the year. I'll continue to put in for the September gun and archery hunts and likely continue to whine (and suggest system changes) until the pearly gates of the happy hunting ground are opened for me 😢

3 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I have 24, my brother has 24 and my dad has 28. No lope tags again. I’m only 34 and am honestly concerned that with the current state of pronghorn in AZ combined with point creep and application increase, i might never in my lifetime draw antelope. Meanwhile, people with zero BP’s keep drawing 

I thought max points this year was 28...  Your dad should have gotten any tag he wanted to

On 2/29/2020 at 11:42 PM, Coach said:

The great thing about tag soup is, you get to go out there, hunt it like you had the tag and learn a little more as a hunter. Find someone who has the tag, help he/she out and it's almost like you had your own tag. Gotta look at the positive side of things. 

The downside to this philosophy is that units are overrun with people who don't have tags.  Not to cool when you have to back out of an area because a spot is taken ........ by someone who does not have a tag.  Hard to tell who is hunting and who is looking.

• Like 5

Absolutely Swivel. When I bump into other people in the forest I always try to have a cordial dialog to compare notes. As you stated numerous times they are "scouting" during the hunt for a friend/relative that has a tag. Guess that is the way the world turns.

Misery loves company!

so many points, so few tags! 😒

13 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I thought max points this year was 28...  Your dad should have gotten any tag he wanted to

30 was max, 1R and 1 NR

29= 7R and 1NR

28= 12R and 3NR

Since the results date has moved up will the end of whine date move up or are there more whines because of more rejects because of population increase and more whiners means that the whines will last longer?  😫

Ps If you didnt get a lope then go get a yote

22 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

it just seems like the same people draws tags every year. 

A lot of this could be resolved if AZGFD changed the group application from the average bonus points of all applicants to the lowest number of any applicant.

Nothing in our house.  I put in for points only for both elk and pronghorn, though, so I can't complain there.  I have to prioritize my career this year and every time my boss tries to get me to leave on a 30-day detail, "I have a tag" is always my excuse.  Career first this year, but I had enough points to draw an archery elk tag.  I'm bummed that my son didn't get a tag.  I mentioned the OTC youth tags in CO and my wife didn't say no, so that might be an option, unless they are no longer OTC for youth.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

A lot of this could be resolved if AZGFD changed the group application from the average bonus points of all applicants to the lowest number of any applicant.

It would be really interesting to find out how many tags were awarded by group applications by hunt vs. single applicant. 

Antelope is hard for me...I've known guys that pull tags with 3-5 BPs, or draw multiple tags within a few years.  I was talking with a buddy and he mentioned the idea of making the Rifle antelope like a Sheep hunt (1 per lifetime) but keep archery the same, you could put in for archery every year...personally I haven't thought through it all but at the surface I can't say I disagree.  I've got 18 BPs and counting for antelope and have never drawn a tag and I've got friends and family that have 23+ BPs and have never drawn antelope either.

1 hour ago, Flatlander said:

Another way, just thinking about this for a few seconds would be if they use point guard, make everybody turn there tag back in that's on the app.  

When it comes to points There's a macro and a micro. 10,000 people have 1 or 5 points equating to 10-15000 thousand chances. Let's say 100 people have 10+ points equating to 1-2000 chances at a tag.  

• Like 1

Bottom line ........bonus points need to be more impactful,  while retaining the element of luck in the equation. Easy change to make, which is fairer to all, no matter the definition of "fair". Change the computer algorithm AGFD.  An easily made enhancement to the system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpinebullwinkle said:

Bottom line ........bonus points need to be more impactful,  while retaining the element of luck in the equation. Easy change to make, which is fairer to all, no matter the definition of "fair". Change the computer algorithm AGFD.  An easily made enhancement to the system.

Interesting idea, weighting bonus points......   Hadn't really considered that one.  Admittedly, I don't understand the ins-outs of how it all works (I'm like the opposite of Flatlander....).  That being said, to me it seems that even if you weight bonus points, given the large saturation and so many folks with so many bonus points, that the effect overall would be benign.  I think the bonus pass is the department's way to try to weight/reward those who have the most points.   Given the saturation of bonus points, I always sort of figured that mine are fairly worthless since I rarely accumulate more than 2 or 3. 

Regarding the definition of "fair", for sure I agree it is really up to one's personal opinion and view point of what is more vs. less fair.    I still fee like we all get the same opportunity to put in for any hunt we want and we know how the game works, so that to me is a level field. ;) 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IA Born said:

Nothing in our house.  I put in for points only for both elk and pronghorn, though, so I can't complain there.  I have to prioritize my career this year and every time my boss tries to get me to leave on a 30-day detail, "I have a tag" is always my excuse.  Career first this year, but I had enough points to draw an archery elk tag.  I'm bummed that my son didn't get a tag.  I mentioned the OTC youth tags in CO and my wife didn't say no, so that might be an option, unless they are no longer OTC for youth.

I hate when our job gets in the way of hunting! Lol

Someday..........it won’t matter. Retirement= Apply for tags without worrying about asking for time off! 🤠

• Like 1