yotebuster

The official “I didn’t get jack shoot” thread

Are there that many people that think waiting 3 to 5 years after drawing a  premium tag a bad thing? Seems those of us with lots of points and just a few points would be on board with that.  

The problem with drawing antelope tags here in Arizona is simple: 689 total tags issued. 310,000 resident licenses, 7.2 million residents and growing. 2030 projection, 8.3 million people. Antelope hunting will soon become a de facto “once in a lifetime” hunt. 

We can tweak the draw till the cows come home, but it will never overcome the supply vs demand dilemma unique to Arizona. 

• Like 5

Max point pool BP numbers for premium hunts for all species are way up there.  New hunters or youth who hope to draw premium tags are so far behind points wise, likely they'll never make the max point pool(s) to guarantee a permit.  I do advocate that any applicant should have an opportunity to draw a permit, i.e. no waiting periods, preference point system, etc. 

I've thought about methods that will get long suffering applicants drawn but still give everybody a chance at a permit.  I advocate the following:  

1) Square applicant bonus points.  This would dramatically increase the effectiveness of a bonus point.

2) When the demand for a species (sheep - bison) or any hunt number for any species during a current draw hits above a max point pool threshold of say 20 - 25 points, 50% of the available permits go to max point holders.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AZ8 said:

I hate when our job gets in the way of hunting! Lol

Someday..........it won’t matter. Retirement= Apply for tags without worrying about asking for time off! 🤠

To be fair, this is the same supervisor who went to bat for me with our previous supervisor (ran the whole office) after the big boss got mad at me because I couldn't go to a meeting due to my daughter having the Unit 1 early rifle bull tag in 2017.  My supervisor knows where my first priorities are and supports me fully.  After three years, though, I kind of owe it to her to put my career up front!  I'm counting down the days until retirement (only 16 more years)!  Then I'm going to be following all of my favorite hatches, standing knee deep in the best trout streams or living near the saltwater flats!

• Like 2

Wants certain tags to be once in a lifetime tags... complains that it is taking a lifetime to draw....

Not a darn thing for me either again this year....too far and in between for being drawn....life is too short as it is!! GOOD LUCK to all who drew a tag! May you have great success! Remember it's not how big they are, it's the thrill of the hunt and sharing the experience with family and friends. 

• Like 2