Red Rabbit

Your First Big Game Rifle?

The first rifle I purchased was a Remington 700 adl in 280 rem, but the gun I used as my first deer rifle was a rem. 600 in 243 win. a hand me down. Now I have a Remington 700 in 280 AI the only  part thats still factory is the action and thats been trued with a PTG bolt fitted.

Ugly, rough, Interarms Mark X in .270 Win.  I killed a few deer with it, but family members killed a lot of game with it.  I restocked it, muzzle brake, trigger job.  

Once I got into my first custom, and saw what accuracy they produced, I sold it.

Savage model 16 300WSM with a junk Simmons scope. Started loading 168GN bullets for it to use as a all around go to for AZ game. It now sits in a better stock and much better glass and is still my go to. 

• Like 1

Remington 788 youth model chambered in 308.  Got it when I was 10 or 12 years old.  Was lucky to hit a paper plate at 100.....  I am sure it was me and not the rifle... Killed my first deer with it on the Kaibab.  Moved up to a 30-06 Rem bdl for a couple of years and didn't like the recoil.  Sold that a got a Rem 700 bdl in 6mm rem, loved that gun and killed lots of coyoted,  coues and mule deer with an 80 gr core lock...   ohhhh the memories. 

Whitey

My first was a Browning Stainless Stalker in .270.  I still take it as a back up gun.

the first I purchased was a m700 300 RUM that I had turned into a 300 WBY.  

The second was a m700 30-06 and turned it into a .280 AI.  I use this one the most.

Eddystone Win. M1917 improved to .300 H&H magnum.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JSR said:

Browning BLR 30.06

Heavy as a F250 and on a good day I could hold a 3" group at a 100

Killed two elk and 2 muleys with it.

Dad bought me a Browning BLR .308 in 1969 at the base exchange in yokuska Japan.

I still have it too

My first big game rifle was a Ruger 77 in .30-06. Purchased in 1974 by my dad for me as a birthday present when I turned 12 from Andrews sporting goods in CA.

3 hours ago, Pine Donkey said:

Ruger M77 in .270.  Parents bought it for me at Jensen’s in Tucson in 1979.   4X Bushnell scope; I was living the life!

Same here but 1976 and it was a Weaver scope.  Still my rifle today although it as a Zeiss scope and new composite stock now.

i had grown up shooting dad's 30/06 m70 standard grade mfg 1953.  the first rifle i bought was a m70 carbine push feed .257 roberts in 1993-what a sweetie!  stolen and still miss it.  also in '93 i pickup a pair of pristine lever guns from the retired seattle chief of police.  a 1941 m99td .300 savage and a 1955 m88 in .358.

lee  

• Like 2

Walmart savage 30-06, can't remember if it was a 110 or 16. Cheap Simmons scope,  terrible trigger.  Shot 1 deer with it and sold it to a friend, then my wife said she would start hunting with me and I got it back.  Put a decent Nikon scope on it and it grouped surprising well considering.

Then some shithead stole it out of my truck.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I bought a Interarms Mark V chambered in 308 win when I was 14. It was a rifle I had borrowed a couple years before for my first cow elk. A few months later I bought a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 and traded the 308 for a wingmaster. Still have the 06 but it's been Ackley imp. And restocked.

• Like 1

On the ranch in Montana, at age 13, my parents put an open sighted Marlin 336 30-30 in my hands and said "Go get'em."  The rule was if I was to shoot at an elk, 50 yards was about max and 100 yards for deer.  Some years I used my Grampa's 1946 Winchester model 70  30-06 with a '50's vintage Weaver 4 x scope.  That thing felt like carrying a tank compared to the Marlin 336, but I was allowed to shoot out to 200 yards on elk with it.

When I was a senior in high school, I bought a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight chambered for 270 topped off with a Leupold 3x9.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, forepaw said:

Lee Enfield No.1 Mk. 4 w/ shortened stock and barrel and recoil pad.  Someone had done a pretty nice job on it, especially the front sight, but kept the military 2-stage trigger.  Bought at Western Auto in Tempe for $15.00.  This would have been about 1967.  The flip up rear sight graduated in meters was pretty neat.  Wish I still had it.  Ditto on the 7x35 Tasco binoculars!

There used to be a place on Southern just west of Rural called Walk In Auto I bought a Nylon 66 from. Still have it.