I found out Game and Fish hit our CC and since we only put in for one hunt i know its Elk, time to work up a load. 😁

Thinking about using Barnes  all copper 168 grain bullets,  any powder recommendation?

Id like something thats temp insensitive 

I would try H1000 or H1000 or H1000! haha... if you can find some been a little tough to find lately. I have had great luck with H1000 in 7 RM and many other cartridges. Its very temp stable and clean and shoots good. Good Luck! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MathewQuigly said:

I found out Game and Fish hit our CC and since we only put in for one hunt i know its Elk, time to work up a load. 😁

Thinking about using Barnes  all copper 168 grain bullets,  any powder recommendation?

Id like something thats temp insensitive 

I’ve loaded for two different friends 7mm lately. Both rifles really like IMR 8133.  Temp insensitive, copper eliminating, and usually available. 

I just worked up a load for another friends 300 Rum with H1000 then found out we couldn’t get any more and at over 90 grains per pop a pound doesn’t go very far. 

• Thanks 1

H1000 is my first choice as well.  Accurate, cool burning, clean, very temp stable.  But, it is impossible to find right now unless you already have some.  Hopefully coming back in a few months.

RL23 would be my second choice.  A bit better speeds than H1000, still does well with temp stability, slightly less charge weights, easier (still not easy) to find, cheaper than H1000 too.  

Retumbo might work.  But again, impossible to find right now.

RL26 would be good, but has temp stability issues above 85* F.  Good speeds, a bit dirty though.

N565, but hard to find right now too.  Almost impossible.  

H4831SC would be OK, easier to find, but might not get the speeds of the others listed.  But take what you can get.  Fairly temp stable, clean burning, a bit faster burning than all the other mentioned above.  

IMR 7828SSC works too.  Not as temp stable, but not bad.  Would be a good choice right now, as it is easy to find.

IMR 7977 Enduron if you can find it,  Better temp stability than IMR7828SSC, very similar burn rate.  Cleaner burning too.  Good choice, I have seen it available more than a lot of the others.

IMR8133 would be good, but it is no where to be found like many others.  I have been searching for a month with no luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Second on Lance's IMR7977 recommendation. It is becoming one of my favorite powders. I use it in my STW  with 160's and 168's. I also had good results with it  in the 7RM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to thank everyone for the replies, ive started looking for H1000, and found one pnd. 

Wish me luck on finding more

• Like 1

H1000 is always my first choice... however my standard 168gr load is now with Ramshot.  I wish every powder were ball powder it sure makes reloading a lot faster and easier and you can usually find the stuff.

With the 195gr bergers it is Retumbo as the go to. 

• Like 1

Look at Ramshot magnum it’s all I use anymore. Only powder more stable is h1000, in my tests. By the way all I run are Barnes bullets shoot great and have harvested many animals with them.