phillyphan

7mm-08 for Bull

So my boy was lucky enough to get his first bull tag.  He's been lucky enough to have hunted the last three years for the youth cow hunt and wanted to try for bull this year.  He has been using his 7MM-08 with Federal 140gr ammo, model P708A.  This round has dropped his three cows within 10 yards of where he hit them.  I know a Bull is a completely different animal.  What are all your opinions on using the same set up for his bull hunt?  I'm wondering if I need to use a different round or an entirely different rifle.  He's very comfortable with his rifle and has taken three cows, an antelope and a few javelina with it anywhere from 50 yards up to 200 yards.  

My daughter shot her bull three years ago this October using her 7mm-08 with Barnes 140gr TTSX handloads.  Your son's set up is plenty good for a bull.

• Like 1

My wife has been slaying elk with her 7-08 and 140 Etips for a bit now at ranges from 200-400 yards. MV only 2700. Not a single elk went more than 50 yards and all on ground in seconds. All exits too. 

• Like 2

That bullet and rifle has killed lots of animals and lots of elk

7mm-08 with a Hornady 139 grain GMX. Mature Bull. I have a picture of the recovered bullet somewhere. It actually weighed out heavier by a few grains. Wadded up under the skin on the far side in a nice mushroom. 

Entrance

image1.thumb.JPG.90e0eeede334c71fdf0d0feed7a83014.JPG

image1.thumb.JPG.5515bd3931b2ee6de28f201463a7a873.JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

The 7-08 will dump a bull no problem with proper bullet placement and proper bullet type at reasonable ranges. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, singleshot said:

7mm-08 with a Hornady 139 grain GMX. Mature Bull. I have a picture of the recovered bullet somewhere. It actually weighed out heavier by a few grains. Wadded up under the skin on the far side in a nice mushroom. 

Entrance

image1.thumb.JPG.90e0eeede334c71fdf0d0feed7a83014.JPG

image1.thumb.JPG.5515bd3931b2ee6de28f201463a7a873.JPG

Thanks for the pics!!! Definitely shouldn't have a problem by the looks of those pics.