n2horns

Costco is getting emptied

16349.thumb.jpeg.082441abebfbe902e019214ed23614a1.jpegThere's nothing as exhilarating as feeling the thunk of a gold nugget dropped into your palm.

au1825nyb.gif.2ca7cb23317d90a77553602e5f8ec85a.gif

• Like 2

43767.jpeg

43759.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 8:04 PM, Edge said:

16349.thumb.jpeg.082441abebfbe902e019214ed23614a1.jpegThere's nothing as exhilarating as feeling the thunk of a gold nugget dropped into your palm.

au1825nyb.gif.2ca7cb23317d90a77553602e5f8ec85a.gif

I'm just curious, in your opinion why has the value of gold gone up so much?  It just seems like it's not something a lot of people flash around so much any more.  And if shoot hit the fan to where people are fighting for survival, I don't see the value there as well.  More of a global value I guess?

46 minutes ago, G_E_E said:

I'm just curious, in your opinion why has the value of gold gone up so much?  It just seems like it's not something a lot of people flash around so much any more.  And if shoot hit the fan to where people are fighting for survival, I don't see the value there as well.  More of a global value I guess?

I can tell you what I was told long ago concerning gold vs currency.

It isn't that gold is going up in value but rather the dollar is going down. 

You can purchase the same goods or services 200 years ago with an ounce of gold that you can get today.  But as the dollar buys much less than it did 200 years ago, you need more dollars to buy the same ounce of gold.

Probably the major difference between gold and currency is inflation. Inflation doesn't affect gold but annually takes a bite out of the dollar.

Watch the Treasure of Sierra Madre someday. The old prospector gives a pretty good accounting of how gold gets its value.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Edge said:

You can purchase the same goods or services 200 years ago with an ounce of gold that you can get today.  But as the dollar buys much less than it did 200 years ago, you need more dollars to buy the same ounce of gold.

Probably the major difference between gold and currency is inflation. Inflation doesn't affect gold but annually takes a bite out of the dollar.

Watch the Treasure of Sierra Madre someday. The old prospector gives a pretty good accounting of how gold gets its value.

Found it...

15 minutes ago, Edge said:

I lived in Argentina during the economic collapse of 2001 and I watched their  country’s money fall by 300% overnight. I lived it the same as any other Argentine citizen living there at the time. Hyper inflation was only days behind. There’s no better economics lesson than the one you experience firsthand. 

1 minute ago, daryl_s said:

I lived in Argentina during the economic collapse of 2001 and I watched their  country’s money fall by 300% overnight. I lived it the same as any other Argentine citizen living there at the time. Hyper inflation was only days behind. There’s no better economics lesson than the one you experience firsthand. 

Yikes

Glad you're ok

3 minutes ago, Edge said:

Yikes

Glad you're ok

I mentioned that because it validates what you were saying about gold. Banks quickly ran out of money and each province started printing their own “money”. The money from economically weaker provinces naturally was worth less than money from stronger provinces. It was a major disaster. 

• Like 1

157 years ago the CSA was here in AZ and trying to pay for their provisions with Confederate script.

The citizenry wanted gold or silver but was forced to take the worthless script at the end of a bayonet.

• Like 1