Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Black Mountain Herd Management Area-Burro

Interesting to me how they set things in place, wolves, burros, horses with a population cap and then have no real plan for managing that population and then end up with an overpopulation........pretty simple math.......

The estimated wild burro population in the Black Mountain HMA is more than 2,200—nearly four times greater than the target population of 478, creating impacts to landscape health and wildlife.  Additionally, wild burros have wandered onto private lands outside the HMA seeking food and water, causing public safety impacts on area roadways as well as private property damage. For these reasons, local communities have requested that the BLM address the wild burro overpopulation in the Black Mountains and return the HMA to its target population level. 

They have the round ups which I believe they have not done in years. Then they have a bunch down in florence that they waste a crap load of money on feeding and taking care of them. Even if they figure out the black mountains the other surrounding areas are getting hammered. Parts of the burro creek area look like waste land as these things strip the forage bare. You can easily glass a hundred a day in some of those basins. I really don't think they have a clue how many are on the ground in the surrounding areas. All the way up to unit 10 to phx and the whole colorado river basin to yuma. 

1 hour ago, jim said:

They have the round ups which I believe they have not done in years. Then they have a bunch down in florence that they waste a crap load of money on feeding and taking care of them. Even if they figure out the black mountains the other surrounding areas are getting hammered. Parts of the burro creek area look like waste land as these things strip the forage bare. You can easily glass a hundred a day in some of those basins. I really don't think they have a clue how many are on the ground in the surrounding areas. All the way up to unit 10 to phx and the whole colorado river basin to yuma. 

Frustrating......I don't spend any time where the burros are but I know the "wild horses" are out of control number wise on the Salt River and Heber herd as well.....

They're only looking for a substantive comments with Humane Solutions. Guess there's no point in me leaving a comment.

I'd be willing to put in for a donkey tag if they come available in the future. I can't imagine them tasting any worse than a stinkin javelina.   

• Like 1

There were tons by oatman during my sons sheep hunt, ornery basterds..

• Like 2