Sign in to follow this  
Nickflag

Delete

Welcome.

I would find an area that has some good shooting lanes. Pinon/Junipers with grass lands will give you some cover to hide your silhouette by sitting with your back against a bush.

A cover scent like Hunter Specialities wafers in Earth scent work good. A small foldable stool to keep you off the ground is nice as each stand can be 15-20 minutes and if you site that long your feet can go to sleep on you.

Open areas will let you see them coming in from a distance so you can get ready, let them come in as close as you can, within 30 yards. You can use a shotgun with #4 Buck or a rifle. If they hang up then shoot them at that distance as long as you have a good shot.

I use a hand call but an electronic call has it's benefits and using a decoy will keep them distracted. I also use camo gloves and a face net.

• Like 2

PRDATR did a pretty good job giving some good info.  Approach your stand quietly, cant walk too far from a vehicle, but a min of a 1/4 is my rule.  set up with sun at your back if possible, in the shade if possible, and always with a bush/ tree breaking up your outline.  Mouth or e caller, start very low volume for the first 2-4 min, then increase volume.  Mess around with different sounds and different calls.  get out and have some fun.  you will mess up more than you don't, but when it all comes together it is a blast.

Limit your motion in the stand as well.  Move slowly and move your eyes more than your head.  stop frequently for a min or two; keep their attention but make them look for you.  Lastly, always try to stop a running dog before you shoot ….. not always possible but try.

Whitey

• Like 1

I too am inexperienced and would love to go out with someone. Although I always second guess myself and can figure it out myself most the time I'd rather go with others and shorten the learning curve. 

5 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Welcome.

I would find an area that has some good shooting lanes. Pinon/Junipers with grass lands will give you some cover to hide your silhouette by sitting with your back against a bush.

A cover scent like Hunter Specialities wafers in Earth scent work good. A small foldable stool to keep you off the ground is nice as each stand can be 15-20 minutes and if you site that long your feet can go to sleep on you.

Open areas will let you see them coming in from a distance so you can get ready, let them come in as close as you can, within 30 yards. You can use a shotgun with #4 Buck or a rifle. If they hang up then shoot them at that distance as long as you have a good shot.

I use a hand call but an electronic call has it's benefits and using a decoy will keep them distracted. I also use camo gloves and a face net.

I've always felt scent free and wafers and such were worthless and always either played the wind or was in a blind.  Do you think its different with yotes as far as scent goes compared to deer?

2 hours ago, lionhunter said:

PRDATR did a pretty good job giving some good info.  Approach your stand quietly, cant walk too far from a vehicle, but a min of a 1/4 is my rule.  set up with sun at your back if possible, in the shade if possible, and always with a bush/ tree breaking up your outline.  Mouth or e caller, start very low volume for the first 2-4 min, then increase volume.  Mess around with different sounds and different calls.  get out and have some fun.  you will mess up more than you don't, but when it all comes together it is a blast.

Limit your motion in the stand as well.  Move slowly and move your eyes more than your head.  stop frequently for a min or two; keep their attention but make them look for you.  Lastly, always try to stop a running dog before you shoot ….. not always possible but try.

Whitey

Good replies, take note to the last one. It's tough but wait till he/she stops.The last thing you want to do is educate a coyote with a rushed miss .They remember I'm convinced. 

11 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I've always felt scent free and wafers and such were worthless and always either played the wind or was in a blind.  Do you think its different with yotes as far as scent goes compared to deer? 

In 40+ years of trapping and hunting coyotes I have learned that  you can not cover your sent with anything and still move and breathe. If a coyote is down wind 

from you, he knows what you had for breakfast and what brand of sent cover you are using. It is vital to have the wind in your face or a crosswind . Not always easy a thing

to do  if you want to  sit in the shade with the sun to your back. If you hunt with a buddy, set him up as a sniper to watch downwind 100 to 150 yards. 20% of the time

a coyote will come in downwind pick up your sent and be gone and you will never know it was there. You learn a lot by reading tracks in the snow.

Good luck

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 10:12 PM, CatfishKev said:

I too am inexperienced and would love to go out with someone. Although I always second guess myself and can figure it out myself most the time I'd rather go with others and shorten the learning curve. 

I live in Corona de Tucson and looking to get started in predator hunting. I’d be happy to get out and learn the ropes with you or anyone else in the area. 
(sorry for hijacking the thread) 

17 minutes ago, broadhead said:

I live in Corona de Tucson and looking to get started in predator hunting. I’d be happy to get out and learn the ropes with you or anyone else in the area. 
(sorry for hijacking the thread) 

I actually got a good foxpro call I'd be down for sure but I still live an hour from you.  Only been out a couple times with no luck which is why I wanted to go with people more experienced.  

Well not exactly no luck, tried calling in pigs one time for my daughter and called a dog bit it was like a fluke. 

My Biggest issue these days is getting time to actually get out.  Running the business and juggling the wife and our army of children keeps is overly occupied! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I actually got a good foxpro call I'd be down for sure but I still live an hour from you.  Only been out a couple times with no luck which is why I wanted to go with people more experienced.  

Well not exactly no luck, tried calling in pigs one time for my daughter and called a dog bit it was like a fluke. 

My Biggest issue these days is getting time to actually get out.  Running the business and juggling the wife and our army of children keeps is overly occupied! 

No worries. I was actually looking at hunting closer to Benson and south toward SV since there's so much cattle land mixed in with public land. Similar job and family requirement here. If you're ever interested send me a message.

• Like 1

I’m no pro but bagged a couple of yotes.  Solid education on this forum for yote hunting.   Also check out YouTube on yote hunting.  Lots of good advise and real word videos to watch.