pkita99

Looking for Chicken Coop

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

I believe my wife wants to get rid of hers, 5x5 we have 5 chickens  but had up to 7. Not sure how to move that would be on you..

0626141756.jpg

did you build this one yourself? nice looking coop, would probably need a trailer and a football team to get it out of there

PM me a phone number and I'll send you.pics of mine. If you like it I'll build ya one, can meet Camp Verde. It opens up for cleaning and egg retrieval, closes up tight for protection.

And it's bobcat prooftrap2019_zpsdfb9a3a0.jpg.cbacce6dda345290532df6aec4554a0d.jpgtrap2481_zpsded54b29.jpg.7e72a2b83c91a6b04ff994570c631f8e.jpg

• Like 2

We live west of Flagstaff about 20 miles. Our coop is an old gutted aluminum trailer with a 20x30 run attached. I covered the top of the run to keep the critters out.  Temps get down to as low as -9 and we have never heated the coop. We have 15 hens of several different breeds and one rooster. We do run a heated water bucket, but that is all we do. In 4 years we have never lost a chicken. They do slow down with laying during the shorter days of winter, but even right now with temps in the teens at night, we are getting 8-10 eggs a day. We started with a cheap coop from Tractor Supply and 6 hens but realized right away it was too small. Good luck finding a coop! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pkita99 said:

did you build this one yourself? nice looking coop, would probably need a trailer and a football team to get it out of there

Yes I did, wife saw it on Pinterest, you can get a trailer with in 20'..

My brother taught me to use handyman jacks to lift up sheds slowly and evenly, using blocks and wood as you go to support the shed.

Next you slide something with wheels under it and lower the shed down to rest on wheeled object.

I lifted a shed with a backhoe and damaged the shed.

The second shed we lifted one end a little and then the other, placing blocks as we went, until we were high enough to slip a flatbed trailer underneath.

Then slowly lowered each end a little bit at a time removing the necessary blocks each time.

No damage to the shed.

On 3/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, wildwoody said:

I believe my wife wants to get rid of hers, 5x5 we have 5 chickens  but had up to 7. Not sure how to move that would be on you..

0626141756.jpg

Omg, I totally missed the bull the first time.  I'm so jealous you can see elkbout your back door.

Recommend getting Buff Orpington's, especially if you have kids. We have Buffs and Ameraucana's. The Buffs are friendly and don't make nearly the noise the Ameraucanas do. Only 4 Hens and we get about 5-6 eggs every 24 hours. We built our coop that is 13' x 6' and about 6' Tall. Biggest tip, give the chickens back their egg shells dried and crushed up. Its a great source of calcium for them they love them. 

Rinse the shells well first. Giving them back their shells may promote canibalism. By rinsing the yolk and white out of the egg they are less prone to canibalism.

Trimming the end of their beak helps as well.

• Like 1

Spraying ammonia near your edibles will help deter all wild life from eating. We chased a javalina boar away by spraying ammonia around his favorite spots.