wildwoody

Post up your success in tags

I drew 1 early archery 6 years ago with 5 points and this year with six, not counting loyalty or hunter ed points. I drew a late 22 rifle tag my first year applying. my oldest son drew a late 27 tag his first year applying. Took my father in law 22 years to draw a 27 late bull tag. The draw is definitely luck. Has to be. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, elkslare said:

elk tag numbers 68 and 69 does not sound random????  to me it sounds like maybe two guys putting in together one guy having 16 points and maybe other guy having 19 or 20 points??

just curious how Az fish game does the draw.  Big time Congrats on drawing the tags. Best of luck on your season and killing a great Bull

also My son was successful in drawing a 5Bn early archery tag.

Nope, we’ve been putting in together from the beginning. 

7 hours ago, elkslare said:

elk tag numbers 68 and 69 does not sound random????  to me it sounds like maybe two guys putting in together one guy having 16 points and maybe other guy having 19 or 20 points??

just curious how Az fish game does the draw.  Big time Congrats on drawing the tags. Best of luck on your season and killing a great Bull

The NR quota doesn't have to be filled in the pass. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elkslare said:

Tag 68 -69 sure as heck isn't in the bonus pass, if you mean there name was floating around 20 times and that helped then ok..

15 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

Any Coyote 01/01/2020 - 12/31/2020

State wide.

I’d like to help on that hunt.

8 hours ago, elkslare said:

This is how I believe the draw works. The draw is basically broken down into 3 phases.  For starters NR are eligible for up to  but no more than 10% of the tags for each hunt number providing the hunt number has more than 10 tags I believe, cow hunts don't count and it is different for bighorn sheep.  Now a few years back AZGFD tweaked it so that NR have a chance in the random draw, what this means is now only 5% of the NR quota is set aside in the bonus pass and the other 5% is left for the random draw.  This however doesn't mean NR will get the whole 5% in the random draw.  Back to the draw.  The 1st phase of the draw is called the bonus pass.  This basically means that 20% of the tags for each hunt number are set aside for the highest bonus points. For example hunt number 3137 has 250 tags so 50 tags are set aside for the 1st phase of the draw and out of those 50 only 12.5 are available for NR and being a resident myself I hope the AZGFD rounds down and only allows 12.  I would think then tags 1-50 go in the 1st phase and tags 51-250 are issued in the next 2 phases. I forgot to mention but in the 1st two phase's of the draw the computer looks at your 1st choice and then your second choice.  In the 3rd phase of the draw the computer looks at choices 3-5.  For hunt number 3137 it is very highly unlikely to make it to the 3rd phase of draw.  In this case it would appear tags 68-69 were in fact drawn in phase 2 of the draw.    

• Like 3

9 hours ago, elkslare said:

huh?  Clearly drawn in the random 1/2 pass.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 654321 said:

This is how I believe the draw works. The draw is basically broken down into 3 phases.  For starters NR are eligible for up to  but no more than 10% of the tags for each hunt number providing the hunt number has more than 10 tags I believe, cow hunts don't count and it is different for bighorn sheep.  Now a few years back AZGFD tweaked it so that NR have a chance in the random draw, what this means is now only 5% of the NR quota is set aside in the bonus pass and the other 5% is left for the random draw.  This however doesn't mean NR will get the whole 5% in the random draw.  Back to the draw.  The 1st phase of the draw is called the bonus pass.  This basically means that 20% of the tags for each hunt number are set aside for the highest bonus points. For example hunt number 3137 has 250 tags so 50 tags are set aside for the 1st phase of the draw and out of those 50 only 12.5 are available for NR and being a resident myself I hope the AZGFD rounds down and only allows 12.  I would think then tags 1-50 go in the 1st phase and tags 51-250 are issued in the next 2 phases. I forgot to mention but in the 1st two phase's of the draw the computer looks at your 1st choice and then your second choice.  In the 3rd phase of the draw the computer looks at choices 3-5.  For hunt number 3137 it is very highly unlikely to make it to the 3rd phase of draw.  In this case it would appear tags 68-69 were in fact drawn in phase 2 of the draw.    

Thank you for the explanation. I was thinking the tag count was overall tag count for all the units. It sounds as though the tag count is unit specific. 1130452205_thumbsup1.gif.c35c2624061c0384ee8c639ec7453e60.gif

I have an early archery cow tag, myself, but for those of you that are going after headgear, mother nature seems to favor you this year.  Good luck.  

5A archery cow.   9th elk tag in last 14 years of drawing.  All archery 4 bull tags, early and late and 5 cow tags.  Units 5a,6a and 8.  

I got antlered diddly squat tag-9 years and counting.  Son got unit 8 muzzy cow. Grandson got 4a youth so i’m Still happy as can be!