Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

First Elk Hunt! (Unit 10)

The draw is out! Just got informed. I drew a late archery bull tag with 2 points for unit 10 Nov. 13th through the 26th! While my dad and friend got cow tags for the same unit and time with one point for archery! I plan on going up to see what the area looks like and to see access points because I know a ton of the unit is Private property! Do you guys have any good ideas where I should go? Stick to the ponderosa? Or go to juniper? Or even big bo? My dad is getting surgery on his back also in a few weeks and recovery will be 4 months meaning he will be hurting when he hunts so does any body have luck near roads for him at least? Any tips help! I am only 18 and will to hike across the unit but my father happens to have some restrictions! Thank you!

Get ready for a grinder hunt.  10 is huge. Elk are all over, high, low and in between.  Get the big bo pass.  

Onx is solid.  Flatline is the best map for 10.  I use both.  Google flatline maps.  Sounds like you are good to go. 

23 minutes ago, az300wby said:

Onx is solid.  Flatline is the best map for 10.  I use both.  Google flatline maps.  Sounds like you are good to go. 

Awesome! Thank you!

Ill be in 10 right after you for my Wife's late rifle bull tag. Good luck sounds like its gonna be tough in the late hunts. 

12 hours ago, Hoytman said:

Ill be in 10 right after you for my Wife's late rifle bull tag. Good luck sounds like its gonna be tough in the late hunts. 

That's exciting! I will be going up there this Thursday to see what all is going on! If I find anything I can send you pics! Bull or cow! I will be near the William's area near kiabab lake! Then as the season gets closer I will work towards the west portion!

FYI - if you go to the Big Bo you cannot sit on water. Just incase you were thinking of getting your dad set up in a ground blind. 

On 3/7/2020 at 5:49 AM, JSR said:

FYI - if you go to the Big Bo you cannot sit on water. Just incase you were thinking of getting your dad set up in a ground blind. 

Gotcha! Thank you!

Congrats on the tag. That late archery can be a tough hunt especially if its dry and you can't sit water if you're hunting on the bo. I'd recommend paying the fee's and hunting there so you have the entire unit to hunt. I remember last year I was scouting for my hunt while the late archery was going on and it was as dry as a bone out there so it made it hard to walk the county without being heard. Talked to hunters out there on that hunt and they weren't having luck either. On top of it being dry it was a full moon so they could bed during the day and move at night. Not trying to discourage you just letting you know how tough it can be but it's not impossible. I'd scout on both public and private. However you cant start scouting the ranch until August I believe? Make sure you have Onx maps before you go and use it while scouting to mark where you have been and make notes. If it were my tag I wouldn't pass over a 270- 300" bull but that's just me. Best of luck of to ya, hope you get it done!