Art20

Bull Elk hunt in November unit 3a & 3c - need ideas

Are you new to hunting? 

A better question might be HOW to hunt that unit on the late hunt. Asking for areas to check out on a forum is kind of a no no. Driving all around the unit and getting to know it is a real good idea. 

• Like 1

Just now, Art20 said:

Anyone care to join me?  :)

Another good idea would be you offer to help other hunters in this unit on an earlier hunt then yours. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Another good idea would be you offer to help other hunters in this unit on an earlier hunt then yours. 

I dont know anyone hunting both units in Sept.  The only hunter I know has unit 23.

3 minutes ago, Art20 said:

I dont know anyone hunting both units in Sept.  The only hunter I know has unit 23.

Ask here is my point. 

7 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Ask here is my point. 

Was anyone here selected for the unit 3c for september?

7 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Ask here is my point. 

2 minutes ago, Art20 said:

Was anyone here selected for the unit 3c for september?

Lol...3c in Sept will do absolutely nothing for you for the Nov hunts, unless you just want to hear and see elk. Bulls except yearlings will be far away. Better idea is since you live up here start driving learning the unit and meeting people. It can be a miserably difficult hunt most years. We dont usually know how it will be until 2 or 3 weeks before. 

• Like 3

opening morning maybe get up on a high spot along old verde road-you might see bulls,bucks and UFOs in that part of 3c.

don't worry about the horses you see-they are all adopted and awaiting transport out of the area.

good luck,

lee

• Like 2

6 hours ago, biglakejake said:

opening morning maybe get up on a high spot along old verde road-you might see bulls,bucks and UFOs in that part of 3c.

don't worry about the horses you see-they are all adopted and awaiting transport out of the area.

good luck,

lee

Thanks Lee!  First time's a learning experience.

6 hours ago, biglakejake said:

good luck,

lee

I live just outside of Snowflake off of Concho hwy 277.  My property is almost in the middle of 3A but there's nothing out here that I've seen (have only  been out here since May last yr. from the valley).  Is anyone familiar with this area?  I figured I'd have better luck in 3C being higher elevation & all.

You’re gonna hafta put some boot leather down this summer.  Elk are hard to find in November.  Locate every water hole in the unit and check them out the week before the hunt.  Build blinds, also set up tree stands in funnel areas.  Find high places you can glass from.  Hunt steep areas with no road or trail access.  If you want easy, you can wait 25 years for early rifle.  Late archery is difficult.  Elk will be skiddish, nocturnal, and generally hard to find.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bojangles said:

You’re gonna hafta put some boot leather down this summer.  Elk are hard to find in November.  Locate every water hole in the unit and check them out the week before the hunt.  Build blinds, also set up tree stands in funnel areas.  Find high places you can glass from.  Hunt steep areas with no road or trail access.  If you want easy, you can wait 25 years for early rifle.  Late archery is difficult.  Elk will be skiddish, nocturnal, and generally hard to find.

Not looking for easy....that doesn't make a hunt.  Just looking for a good general area.  When camping fr236 about 100 yrs from road, I did see a couple blinds built by a watering hole but the area is getting very populated.  Hardly any camps during this period, though.

Buy a Flatline Map.  Use OnX Hunt app.

Find areas with steep, nasty, thick canyons and zero roads within a mile or more.  Hunt there.

Find those canyons as early as NOW, and start hiking them looking for sheds.  Find elk sign and sheds, and you might find areas the bulls will escape to after they start getting pressured.  I don't know 3A/3C, but I would be looking at lower elevations in the Pinon/Juniper areas for a late hunt.  Tougher to hunt though.

If you DO find a good buck, just take him to some powerlines for the photos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1