Art20

Bull Elk hunt in November unit 3a & 3c - need ideas

7 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Buy a Flatline Map.  Use OnX Hunt app.

Find areas with steep, nasty, thick canyons and zero roads within a mile or more.  Hunt there.

Find those canyons as early as NOW, and start hiking them looking for sheds.  Find elk sign and sheds, and you might find areas the bulls will escape to after they start getting pressured.  I don't know 3A/3C, but I would be looking at lower elevations in the Pinon/Juniper areas for a late hunt.  Tougher to hunt though.

If you DO find a good buck, just take him to some powerlines for the photos.

Flatline map?  I can Google that.

Thanks, this is what I need as well, a good map.  The azgfd doesn't have much online I can reference.  Unit 3A have many  Pinon/Juniper in the area.

11 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Buy a Flatline Map.  Use OnX Hunt app.

Find areas with steep, nasty, thick canyons and zero roads within a mile or more.  Hunt there.

Find those canyons as early as NOW, and start hiking them looking for sheds.  Find elk sign and sheds, and you might find areas the bulls will escape to after they start getting pressured.  I don't know 3A/3C, but I would be looking at lower elevations in the Pinon/Juniper areas for a late hunt.  Tougher to hunt though.

If you DO find a good buck, just take him to some powerlines for the photos.

Are there free apps similar to OnX hunt?

24 minutes ago, Art20 said:

Are there free apps similar to OnX hunt?

Spend the $15/mo, $30/yr for 1 state, or $99/yr for USA, and get OnX.  Worth it's weight in gold.  

Flatline Maps are too.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Spend the $15/mo, $30/yr for 1 state, or $99/yr for USA, and get OnX.  Worth it's weight in gold.  

Flatline Maps are too.  

I’ve heard good things about something called base maps.   Supposedly same as onx but $29/ yr for whole country.  If it’s legit that’s awesome.  I’ve been running onx for a decade and won’t leave home without it now.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rossislider said:

Pointguard and get your points back. That is my best advice.

Funny.

I'm a day late/nickel short on that.  Sounds like you're a "glass half empty" type of guy. 

• Haha 1

Best place to hunt elk in that unit in November in my opinion is 3C South. There's a fence just to the south of the 300 road that drops off pretty drastically. It's a little-known spot that time of year but there's lots of elk down there. Make sure you check your Maps

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Art20 said:

Funny.

I'm a day late/nickel short on that.  Sounds like you're a "glass half empty" type of guy. 

You are going to make friends REAL FAST here.  

Rossislider is a great guy.  And an insanely hard hunter.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Agreed!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

My apologies, I was kidding.  He told me, basically, I shouldn't have wasted my money so was giving it back to him. 

Guess noob hunters should be quiet here.:)

I feel like trphyhntr created a new account and is trolling everyone with this. Hope you get that big buck you're after.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Art20 said:

Funny.

It's all good man. I am giving you a hard time, but I am also being a realist. I have hunted the unit a lot over the past several years for both elk and deer. By some crazy luck, my family has probably had more elk and deer tags in 3A3C over the past 5 years than anyone. The honest truth is that the late rifle hunt is probably one of the tougher bull elk hunts in the state. Even the best outfitters struggle at times to turn up decent bulls on that hunt. Have realistic expectations, and if you are willing to work, you will find something. But you should consider shooting the first bull you see with antlers.

Lastly (and I mean no offense, but since I don't know you, I don't want to assume anything), make sure you know the difference between a buck and a bull before you go. You are more likely to see bucks than bulls on that hunt, and you don't want the trouble that will befall you if you accidentally shoot the wrong one.

FYI, if you bought point guard you can turn the tag back in up till the day of the hunt. Scout it hard the week or two before the hunt. If you aren't seeing what you are looking for, and if you burned a lot of points on the tag, I might consider point guard. But if you only had a couple of points, go and have a good time. The worst day in the mountains is better than most any day in the office.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Flatline Maps are too.  

Camofire has a the one state for one year deal going again today for $17.99. Money very well spent! 

it's horn season.  get out starting now and put miles on your boots.  steeper the better and bulls don't like mud any better than you do.

my earlier suggestion is where most people start-black canyon lake and the dead center of the unit.  lots of pressure.

2 points:

only about 10% of tag holders will be out on any given day sunday thru thursday of the late hunt.

there are bulls from hutch road to the rim road and from sr77 to the young road-learn the exact boundaries of your unit.

and whatever you do don't hunt anywhere near town

pp3.thumb.jpg.f401a1559100407560c460b3891e6432.jpg

001.thumb.JPG.21c17e13c57f11d2b0e7ae58f32914b8.JPG

2018.jpg.075b5c1dbb8753a263eb0eff2709779d.jpg

pp.thumb.jpg.2c53d8dac20a91a84b50e6829b83bf3b.jpg