Art20

Bull Elk hunt in November unit 3a & 3c - need ideas

On 3/5/2020 at 7:53 PM, wish2hunt said:

Good luck on your buck hunt. Start scouting early

What knife so you carry with you for your hunt?  That's something I haven't thought of.

41 minutes ago, Art20 said:

What knife so you carry with you for your hunt?  That's something I haven't thought of.

Outdoor edge from Epic outdoors. Yeah you have to cut them up once their dead they also don't pack themselves out so need to address that. There are about 4 places in that unit that you could use 15s for deer. You can see an elk in that unit with 10s or less fine. I would get there now. They will be in the same place in November

1 hour ago, AZkiller said:

Outdoor edge from Epic outdoors. Yeah you have to cut them up once their dead they also don't pack themselves out so need to address that. There are about 4 places in that unit that you could use 15s for deer. You can see an elk in that unit with 10s or less fine. I would get there now. They will be in the same place in November

Lol! They definitely dont pack themselves out. 

Hunt the power lines on the res boundary. Lots of bulls

3 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Hunt the power lines on the res boundary. Lots of bulls

Sorry about my ignorance....res boundary??  Do you know which forest road?

Hey man welcome to the site.  Good luck on this hunt.  I know some people came out swinging on you.  But imagine you started up your own company and put endless hours into building it and years to do it.  Now your successful and some new Young guy comes up and wants to partner up with you 50/50.  He doesn’t put in the  over time/ weekend work etc etc like you did.  He just wants the cream of the crop without the work.  

Like here in CWT lots of guys are willing to help any young guy on how to start a business (aka hunting). Never ever come on here and first few post ask can someone tell me where the elk are at?  Matter of fact even if you been on here for years you still don’t ask for that.  No one will give some one 50/50 of business without the work.  But lots of guys have already given you awesome advise.  Maps, canyons, timing of the seasons, elk are now where they will be in Novembers, and even giving up your tag for point guard.  All solid advise.  You just need to get out there and drive the area.  Hike the area, know the area, look at google earth, boundaries for the unit and Rez.  Then come back and ask when and how do elk migrate?  When does snow push them around?  How skiddish are they during Nov. water holes,   etc etc.   You will get a lot more help. Best of luck man 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

Hey man welcome to the site.  Good luck on this hunt.  I know some people came out swinging on you.  But imagine you started up your own company and put endless hours into building it and years to do it.  Now your successful and some new Young guy comes up and wants to partner up with you 50/50.  He doesn’t put in the  over time/ weekend work etc etc like you did.  He just wants the cream of the crop without the work.  

Like here in CWT lots of guys are willing to help any young guy on how to start a business (aka hunting). Never ever come on here and first few post ask can someone tell me where the elk are at?  Matter of fact even if you been on here for years you still don’t ask for that.  No one will give some one 50/50 of business without the work.  But lots of guys have already given you awesome advise.  Maps, canyons, timing of the seasons, elk are now where they will be in Novembers, and even giving up your tag for point guard.  All solid advise.  You just need to get out there and drive the area.  Hike the area, know the area, look at google earth, boundaries for the unit and Rez.  Then come back and ask when and how do elk migrate?  When does snow push them around?  How skiddish are they during Nov. water holes,   etc etc.   You will get a lot more help. Best of luck man 

I take the advise given here adamantly and don't take me the wrong way, I'm not asking for handouts as you're insinuating.

It's not like a business, it's like a hobby where I'm asking "how'd you do, that type of question".  I was already going to hike the area but asking for ideas of what area to hike.  I would bet, on your / their first hunt,  most in here already had a partner to lead the way & not doing it by themselves, which is how they learned the area.  I'm not asking for a "partner of 50/50 split in the business".  I'm asking for advise - it's not like I'm stealing any business from anyone, it's a huge area.

BTW, thanks for saying I'm a new young guy.  I'll take that as a compliment.....call me a very early young retired guy.  Came out here in 95 working my nuts off and had a goal to retire after my goals were met.  Guess what, I met that goal last year so I called it quits, packed my bags, & moved to Snowflake. 

Here I am asking for help from other experienced hunters in the area so I may be able to, at least, bag one elk in my life & if I don't this time around, maybe next year I'll know some folks that wouldn't mind asking me to join them for the experience or I'll know the area enough to navigate the good areas.

2 minutes ago, Art20 said:

I take the advise given here adamantly and don't take me the wrong way, I'm not asking for handouts as you're insinuating.

It's not like a business, it's like a hobby where I'm asking "how'd you do, that type of question".  I was already going to hike the area but asking for ideas of what area to hike.  I would bet, on your / their first hunt,  most in here already had a partner to lead the way & not doing it by themselves, which is how they learned the area.  I'm not asking for a "partner of 50/50 split in the business".  I'm asking for advise - it's not like I'm stealing any business from anyone, it's a huge area.

BTW, thanks for saying I'm a new young guy.  I'll take that as a compliment.....call me a very early young retired guy.  Came out here in 95 working my nuts off and had a goal to retire after my goals were met.  Guess what, I met that goal last year so I called it quits, packed my bags, & moved to Snowflake. 

Here I am asking for help from other experienced hunters in the area so I may be able to, at least, bag one elk in my life & if I don't this time around, maybe next year I'll know some folks that wouldn't mind asking me to join them for the experience or I'll know the area enough to navigate the good areas.

I didn’t hear you asking for help. I hear you asking for where to hunt. Road numbers. That’s more like 75/25 of the business.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

I didn’t hear you asking for help. I hear you asking for where to hunt. Road numbers. That’s more like 75/25 of the business.

Ok, I understand - thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I am asking for help on this forum.

Asking for road numbers is asking for help, right?  If you're lost or unfamiliar with an area, don't you "ask for assistance" or help on finding your way there? 

Again, it's not like a business, it's a hobby.  A business is what you do for livelihood who in here hunts year round & sells their kill?  A hobby is something you do out of enjoyment and don`t profit from it, except for the memories.  The forest is big enough for everyone - only 250 elk tags were issued for the year so plenty of room & I don't think I'm intruding on anyone's territory.

Giving out rd numbers, what part of the unit, what area, high low etc etc will drastically push anyone in one direction of a unit.  Believe me areas anyone pointing to an exact area will get unwanted at attention.  People google search and will come across this forum  “we hunt off this ridge, road, bluff, part of the unit and have great success”.   You spill the beans in a matter of a few years you start noticing more people in your area.  I’ve seen it first hand.  So if anyone does share please as k for DMs.

I wasn’t saying your some young pup but a new guy to hunting as you already stating.  I’m not saying your stealing our business.  What I was getting at was the emotional feeling we hunters put so much work, boot leather, and time we just don’t give out exact location when you have not done the work yet.  You know teach a man to fish and feed for a life time type thing.  You will get a lot of teaching here but no free fish.

FYI just so you know every year at this time people get drawn and their first post on this site is “I don’t want anyone’s honey holes but can you point me in the right direction where the Bulls “ and in a few months when Game and Fish post results for Deer we will get the same thing for deer.  Every year it happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke-BE said:

Giving out rd numbers, what part of the unit, what area, high low etc etc will drastically push anyone in one direction of a unit.  Believe me areas anyone pointing to an exact area will get unwanted at attention.  People google search and will come across this forum  “we hunt off this ridge, road, bluff, part of the unit and have great success”.   You spill the beans in a matter of a few years you start noticing more people in your area.  I’ve seen it first hand.  So if anyone does share please as k for DMs.

I wasn’t saying your some young pup but a new guy to hunting as you already stating.  I’m not saying your stealing our business.  What I was getting at was the emotional feeling we hunters put so much work, boot leather, and time we just don’t give out exact location when you have not done the work yet.  You know teach a man to fish and feed for a life time type thing.  You will get a lot of teaching here but no free fish.

FYI just so you know every year at this time people get drawn and their first post on this site is “I don’t want anyone’s honey holes but can you point me in the right direction where the Bulls “ and in a few months when Game and Fish post results for Deer we will get the same thing for deer.  Every year it happens.

If anyone has a good hunting spot, just point me in the general direction or PM me if you care to share (that way I wont "spill the beans" on the "honey hole").  I promise no one's feelings will be hurt since everyone here that were drawn for the November hunt will use point guard; anyway, from what I understand and I wont divulge anything to anyone.  I'm a CPA & used to keeping information confidential.