Art20

Bull Elk hunt in November unit 3a & 3c - need ideas

9 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

Would someone tell him which rock to set on or which tree to lean against. 

Please

LoL - Zeke??

Good luck on your hunt Art

Whoa I was all about trying to help until you referred to hunting as a "hobby". First thing, this is a true primal passion for many red blooded men world wide. If you approach this with a laissez-faire reaction you're going to get a crappy hunt. Don't expect people who they're live their entire year for the fall to want to help you much at all with a ho-hum approach. Just try to have fun with your new hobby. You could also build model planes or cars, make beer or print t-shirts for your friends. Don't put this on the same level as that stuff. Most of our Falls are planned around killing something.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Art20 said:

Ok, I understand - thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I am asking for help on this forum.

Asking for road numbers is asking for help, right?  If you're lost or unfamiliar with an area, don't you "ask for assistance" or help on finding your way there? 

Again, it's not like a business, it's a hobby.  A business is what you do for livelihood who in here hunts year round & sells their kill?  A hobby is something you do out of enjoyment and don`t profit from it, except for the memories.  The forest is big enough for everyone - only 250 elk tags were issued for the year so plenty of room & I don't think I'm intruding on anyone's territory.

Seriously?

5 hours ago, AZkiller said:

Whoa I was all about trying to help until you referred to hunting as a "hobby". First thing, this is a true primal passion for many red blooded men world wide. If you approach this with a laissez-faire reaction you're going to get a crappy hunt. Don't expect people who they're live their entire year for the fall to want to help you much at all with a ho-hum approach. Just try to have fun with your new hobby. You could also build model planes or cars, make beer or print t-shirts for your friends. Don't put this on the same level as that stuff. Most of our Falls are planned around killing something.

Please, don't misconstrue my thoughts.  Zeke-BE referred my communication as taking over a business with no experience and , basically, getting secret spots.

I, in no way, consider hunting as a hobby.  Hunting, since I moved here in 1995 was a passion of mine.  Circumstances in my career have kept me from pursuing my passion of hunting elk.  I've hunted dove, but never was lucky enough for the elk draw. I'm only asking for help on locations or "general locations" for my hunt.  I'm on my own so any help I can get is helpful.  

Zeke was simply making an analogy.   90% of the people on this forum are what I would consider to be "hard core" hunters. We put in a whole lot of effort and believe it or not we actually (for the most part) like to help people.  The problem with a new member is most of the time they show up right after the draw asking for help when they haven't helped contribute for the greater good. They get the help they need and then never return to say thanks or even share the story of their success. You may be the type or maybe not. Point is this makes people feel unwilling to help because in the end its often in appreciated. 

The wrong question to ask is where do I go? The right thing to ask is how do I hunt this unit on this particular hunt?

And I'm  honestly not trying to be rude but you called a bull elk a buck and called deer deers.  It's hard to take you seriously because most new hunters know the difference.  And even worse you live in the unit your hunting, you should be the one we are asking for help.  Again, really not trying to be mean just trying to explain why your getting the reaction that you are getting.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Zeke was simply making an analogy.   90% of the people on this forum are what I would consider to be "hard core" hunters. We put in a whole lot of effort and believe it or not we actually (for the most part) like to help people.  The problem with a new member is most of the time they show up right after the draw asking for help when they haven't helped contribute for the greater good. They get the help they need and then never return to say thanks or even share the story of their success. You may be the type or maybe not. Point is this makes people feel unwilling to help because in the end its often in appreciated. 

The wrong question to ask is where do I go? The right thing to ask is how do I hunt this unit on this particular hunt?

And I'm  honestly not trying to be rude but you called a bull elk a buck and called deer deers.  It's hard to take you seriously because most new hunters know the difference.  And even worse you live in the unit your hunting, you should be the one we are asking for help.  Again, really not trying to be mean just trying to explain why your getting the reaction that you are getting.  

I'll definately share my experiences after the hunt.  When I first started this thread, I asked about 3C for bull elk & some one said "whatever you do, dont shoot a buck or you'll be in trouble"  I never called a buck an elk that I can remember (maybe I did without thinking).  

I'm learning (and new to elk hunting) so my question is how does one hunt 3C in November knowing the season is basically over & bull elk are "done for the day" from rutting & fighting?  I'll put leather on the ground & hike each day on the hunt. 

Whether it's the wrong question or not, I still think it's reasonable to ask where.  Someone did share with me a cple areas & do very much appreciate the help and advise given.  I wont be intruding on anybody's turf, it's a big forest and end of the season.  I don't live in the unit 3C I intend to hunt,  it's 1-2 hrs away.  I do live in the Unit 3A area but the few months I have lived here, I've seen nothing, notta.

Kev, thanks for the input.  I hear what you're saying.

I know a great guy that'll do a guide only hunt for $3,500 for the week. You can save all the money you would spend scouting

I know a great guy that'll do a guide only hunt for $3,500 for the week. You can save all the money you would spend scouting

8 minutes ago, AZkiller said:

I know a great guy that'll do a guide only hunt for $3,500 for the week. You can save all the money you would spend scouting.  This is how I hunt.

Really??  I'll pass.

Go ahead & use a scout.  It costs $0 to scout, except for gas.

End this opportunist BS. Go figure it out yourself like the rest of us..

I thought I saw you live close to snowflake.  You live closer than most to this unit. Talk to some locals. You have a lot of time before the hunt. Boots on the ground and lots of glassing and you will do just fine. Get a flatline map or on x. Learn water sources and trails. And all canyons where good bulls hide during the late season.  Put in your time and you should have and opportunity to fill your tag.