Art20

Bull Elk hunt in November unit 3a & 3c - need ideas

49 minutes ago, Art20 said:

Really??  I'll pass.

Go ahead & use a scout.  It costs $0 to scout, except for gas.

I live between Pinedale and Clay Springs and so i live in the middle of the unit. Any Idea how much money I spent on gas alone last year scouting??? I'll give you a hint it was real close to $3500. Everything I know about the units which is less than some and quite a bit more than others has taken me 30+ years to accumulate.  I stand by my advice. start driving the roads, learn the unit and talk to people. More than likely you will run into me at some point and I'll be happy to talk to you. I drive an 2010 Tundra that has dents, and dings and always has mud/dirt on it.  It has been well used.  Most of us will help if a person puts in a little effort, not just asking for handouts. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Beaton said:

I thought I saw you live close to snowflake.  You live closer than most to this unit. Talk to some locals. You have a lot of time before the hunt. Boots on the ground and lots of glassing and you will do just fine. Get a flatline map or on x. Learn water sources and trails. And all canyons where good bulls hide during the late season.  Put in your time and you should have and opportunity to fill your tag.

I do live just outside Snowflake.  The folks I've spoken to don't hunt but am still asking around.

Thanks for your support and advice.

20 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

I live between Pinedale and Clay Springs and so i live in the middle of the unit. Any Idea how much money I spent on gas alone last year scouting??? I'll give you a hint it was real close to $3500. Everything I know about the units which is less than some and quite a bit more than others has taken me 30+ years to accumulate.  I stand by my advice. start driving the roads, learn the unit and talk to people. More than likely you will run into me at some point and I'll be happy to talk to you. I drive an 2010 Tundra that has dents, and dings and always has mud/dirt on it.  It has been well used.  Most of us will help if a person puts in a little effort, not just asking for 

I'd rather spend my time & $s in sweat equity for the experience rather than a guide.  I dont think there's much fun in paying for memories if they're not earned.

3 hours ago, Art20 said:

I'll definately share my experiences after the hunt.  When I first started this thread, I asked about 3C for bull elk & some one said "whatever you do, dont shoot a buck or you'll be in trouble"  I never called a buck an elk that I can remember (maybe I did without thinking).  

I'm learning (and new to elk hunting) so my question is how does one hunt 3C in November knowing the season is basically over & bull elk are "done for the day" from rutting & fighting?  I'll put leather on the ground & hike each day on the hunt. 

Whether it's the wrong question or not, I still think it's reasonable to ask where.  Someone did share with me a cple areas & do very much appreciate the help and advise given.  I wont be intruding on anybody's turf, it's a big forest and end of the season.  I don't live in the unit 3C I intend to hunt,  it's 1-2 hrs away.  I do live in the Unit 3A area but the few months I have lived here, I've seen nothing, notta.

Kev, thanks for the input.  I hear what you're saying.

yeah you did and then went back and edited it. Many people saw it myself included. But no worries. If you ever want to meet up and maybe talk about the unit give me a call. 

Houston 4805404445

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

yeah you did and then went back and edited it. Many people saw it myself included. But no worries. If you ever want to meet up and maybe talk about the unit give me a call. 

Houston 4805404445

Yes, it was edited after my comment because I did notice I said "buck" vs elk after my reply.  I did admit it in the parentheses stating I "probably said it without thinking".  Don't think it was worth a group discussion, though.  No worries.

My advice would be to stop digging, put the shovel down and keep Houston’s contact info.  When he says he knows less about the unit then some, that list is really really small.  Also I wouldn’t overlook 3a.  Find some high glassing points that are close to home and get out and sit on them.  You’ll eventually pick up bulls in those flats.  Wherever they are now isn’t far from where they’ll be come Black Friday.  If you’re finding sheds in there then even better.  3c is tight on then Rez and most of the big bulls that rut that unit won’t even be in 3c by the time your hunt comes around so if you live close to 3a I’d spend a little time up there as those elk don’t have a rez to hide on.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Houston 4805404445

I saw it too.  

4 hours ago, Art20 said:

Really??  I'll pass.

Go ahead & use a scout.  It costs $0 to scout, except for gas.

If it cost $0 to scout that’s what you should be doing then, not asking us where to hunt. Every time I go scouting it’s not cheap. But I go and learn and enjoy finding my own places to hunt.

4 hours ago, wildwoody said:

End this opportunist BS. Go figure it out yourself like the rest of us..

He has no idea when to quit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wish2hunt said:

If it cost $0 to scout that’s what you should be doing then, not asking us where to hunt. Every time I go scouting it’s not cheap. But I go and learn and enjoy finding my own places to hunt.

I didn't say that it's cheap, gas costs money.  I said I'd rather spend my own time scouting than paying a guide $3,500.  I dont have the money to pay someone for a week to walk me to an area to find elk.  You guys are brutal. 

3 hours ago, yotebuster said:

My advice would be to stop digging, put the shovel down and keep Houston’s contact info.  When he says he knows less about the unit then some, that list is really really small.  Also I wouldn’t overlook 3a.  Find some high glassing points that are close to home and get out and sit on them.  You’ll eventually pick up bulls in those flats.  Wherever they are now isn’t far from where they’ll be come Black Friday.  If you’re finding sheds in there then even better.  3c is tight on then Rez and most of the big bulls that rut that unit won’t even be in 3c by the time your hunt comes around so if you live close to 3a I’d spend a little time up there as those elk don’t have a rez to hide on.  

Ok.  I'll take your advice, thanks.

2 hours ago, wildwoody said:

I own my part, sorry

The DOWs taking a hit boys.  Hang in there, this is the time to sit tight & enjoy the ride.  When it drops below 20k, buy - I did this in 08 when it dropped to 6k.