Art20

Bull Elk hunt in November unit 3a & 3c - need ideas

15 hours ago, Art20 said:

Ok.  I'll take your advice, thanks.

Art20,

Please don't take offense at people busting your balls here. That's what us hunters do, especially to a someone who uses a term out of context😂 We rag on each other and exaggerate about the size of the one that got away! 

In all truthfulness, go put some miles on your boots and find elk right now. Get a friend to go with you even if they don't hunt to keep it fun. Get a good map with good topography lines and find elevation that let's you look into canyons. Find water on your maps. 

Once you do this report back to us. Well ease up on you a bit at that point👍 Take care, Mark

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Markleo21377 said:

Art20,

Please don't take offense at people busting your balls here. That's what us hunters do, especially to a someone who uses a term out of context😂 We rag on each other and exaggerate about the size of the one that got away! 

In all truthfulness, go put some miles on your boots and find elk right now. Get a friend to go with you even if they don't hunt to keep it fun. Get a good map with good topography lines and find elevation that let's you look into canyons. Find water on your maps. 

Once you do this report back to us. Well ease up on you a bit at that point👍 Take care, Mark

Thanks 👍🙂

Lance mentioned to get a flatline map for the unit.  Is this what you use?  I heard the ranger station have unit maps as well....I would guess they're not as detailed as flatline, I'll check into it.

Have you ever hunted 3a?  I live there but have seen nothing - it's something I'll explore more as well as 3c

42 minutes ago, Art20 said:

Thanks 👍🙂

Lance mentioned to get a flatline map for the unit.  Is this what you use?  I heard the ranger station have unit maps as well....I would guess they're not as detailed as flatline, I'll check into it.

Have you ever hunted 3a?  I live there but have seen nothing - it's something I'll explore more as well as 3c

Lance is spot on. Grab a flat line map for sure. I don't know that unit well but once you learn what elk need you will be in good shape. Start with taking your flatline map, locate water and draw a 2 mile radius circle around each one. The circles that intersect are a good place to start. Hills that get the  🌞 most the day or what is referred to as south facing will have good forage and that will have most of the sign. Then move north and find draws with benches  that face north. These will be where they bed. Find these areas in places that you figure 70-80% of people would be apprehensive to go and things will start to make sense to you. Good luck and let us know what you turn up👍

• Like 1

I live in 3C - late bull hunt is really tough. Last year bad weather was a HUGE factor in success rate. It can be very tough that time of year - lots of tags/hunters. Hoyle Canyon can hold some bulls but it’s a non motorized vehicle area. Area in and around Black Canyon Lake can hold some late bulls as well. Best of Luck!!

On 3/8/2020 at 9:45 PM, CatfishKev said:

90% of the people on this forum are what I would consider to be "hard core" bullshitters

Fixed it for you

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, nohuddle said:

I live in 3C - late bull hunt is really tough. Last year bad weather was a HUGE factor in success rate. It can be very tough that time of year - lots of tags/hunters. Hoyle Canyon can hold some bulls but it’s a non motorized vehicle area. Area in and around Black Canyon Lake can hold some late bulls as well. Best of Luck!!

Thanks, this is helpful.  I was going to get a flat line map for 3a /3c to scout the areas.  Has anyone used the Huntdata maps before?  They're cheaper maps so not sure if they contain better/ or lack info flat line has.

Unit 3A's close to me but I haven't heard too much about hunting this area, I've seen mostly Pronghorn in this area.

2 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

You got to much info already. Goodluck

There's never too much information.

About 40% has been  belittling & badgering (some of it by you)