Sign in to follow this  
fatbastard

Got a lathe? Wanna help a brother out?

I have been playing with LeGandre (side) crimps on my 450 Bushmaster and .45 Raptor handloads and have seen enough to convince me that I want all of my loads for these two calibers and probably 45 Colt in the lever guns to include them.

Back in the olden days... like 3 years ago, if you wanted a side crimp on a straight walled .45 caliber case, you would buy a Lee Factory crimp die in 45-70 or .45 Colt and cut it down to put the crimp lower than the case mouth on whatever cartridge you were working with. If you are fancy, you cut the die way down and use shims to move the crimp up or down and match the cannelure  to seating depth on whatever bullet you choose.

Nowadays, Lee sells a 450 Bushmaster factory crimp die and a 460 S&W (parent of 45 Raptor) factory crimp die. I found that the 450BM die puts the crimp on a 45 Raptor case just about where I want it most of the time. I cut down the 460 S&W die to be adjustable with shims which I have. I did this by jamming a 375 H&H case into the crimp jaws and chucking it in a drill press, holding a dremel with a cut off wheel to it as it went round and round. I have a cheap drill press, I don't have the most steady hands or straight eye. It works well but there is a problem. I didn't get the cut straight on the die, Its functional but I would like to clean it up. I just need enough material removed to square the cut on the collet, if too much is removed, I will need to trim the body as well. This is why I don't trust me to attempt it.

Anywho, can someone square a cut for me? I can separate the collet from the die body easily. If you are local to Tucson I will meet up wherever.

20200307_183917_resized.jpg

If you can't find someone to help you out, might try contacting Pima Community College, might get someone to do it there.

I believe those are hardend to like 56 rc meaning a lathe wont do it well.

best bet is a surface grinder, or o.d/i.d grinder. a surface grinder is pretty common in garages

they are heat treated and then finish machined < I wouldn't call them hard. are you anywhere near the airport in PHX? I could make some time next weekend. shoot me a PM

Pima college is a good idea, thanks.

My drill press is part of the problem, even when I just chuck a drill bit it wobbles. Not a precise machine at all.

I usually do get to Phoenix at least once a week for work and I do have a customer near Sky Harbor. PM coming

Thanks guys