Sign in to follow this  
HighschoolHunter

7W Late Bull hunts

Hey ya’ll. As you can probably tell I’m fairly new to the site but NOT asking for any spots, just miscellaneous advice. I drew my first late elk tag, bull elk at that, and am a little nervous given I’ve only ever had early cow tags before and was only successful once LOL. 
The biggest gun I own is a .243 which I obviously won’t be using for bull, so If anyone has any advice on what kind of rifle to get I’m happy to hear it, I was thinking of getting a .270. how far a shot should I be expecting to take? Specifically for 7W? From what I’ve seen on maps and the couple times I’ve been in the area there aren’t any major canyons to shoot across but seems like I’ll be shooting down Pinyon Juniper lanes or across open meadows. Also, since this is my first late hunt in a non-desert unit, I’d just like to know how cold to expect it to be. Does it snow out in the lower elevated parts of the unit to the north? Lastly, just any ideas on what kind of bull to expect. I’ll probably shoot the first legal animal I see but I can’t say I’m not excited for the possibility of something big. Thanks for any advice on any of these questions, I’ve already got a great pair of binos and a great tripod and know how to glass, and I will spend a weekend or two over the summer scouting just to get another lay of the land since I’ve only really hunted it once and it was for someone else’s hunt a few years ago. And I (hopefully) will head up the Tuesday before the hunt so I have Wednesday and Thursday (thanksgiving) to find where the elk are at before opening day. 
thank you!

A few years ago it was dry and warm on that hunt and that unit specifically, 50 deg. morning opening day. I also have been in there when it snowed so be prepared. A .270 is enough for reasonable distance I shot my first bull in 7W with it. Hunted it during  archery last Sep. and it was a tough hunt but I got into bulls every day, ranging from spikes to 300 class bulls. Try scouting off of Hoctor road around horse trap and that's a bone thrown. Good luck, great unit if it's decent weather otherwise roads can be nasty like most others you'll need 4x4

• Like 2

Be prepared for 60 degree days and 0 degrees with snow. It can be anything in between. Be ready for the wind too. The cold sucks, but the wind multiplies the suck. 

I have hunted across the road in 7E several times with mixed results and mixed weather. 

Get familiar with the area and find the areas of refuge. On that hunt the elk are just trying to stay alive and will hide in the nastiest spots to get away from people. 

• Like 1

Last year we got pounded with snow for the late hunt... How Jasper said you'll need a 4x4... PM ill give you a spot... 

• Like 2

I will be up in 7w with my son-in-law too.  Look for a white 4Runner TRD.....hopefully like this.

20170929_234340.thumb.jpg.32caaaf7f729d9d426a053e6b6addead.jpg

I have been on a ton of late hunts in 7W.

From -10* and no snow, to 0* and snow so deep you can't drive, to 55* and sunny hunting in t-shirts, to 30* and rain and mud.  And some go from 55* to -5* in 2 days.  Prepare for all weather.  Don't trust the forecast.

Elk will still be at all elevations unless they get hammered with 24"+ of snow weeks before thee hunt.  Even with 12" of snow, we have found elk at the highest elevations during Dec.

Hunt the stuff away from roads, thick and nasty, steep, almost inaccessible.  That is where the bulls will be.  Or....flat as a pancake and thick with Junipers.  Anywhere 98% of people WON"T go.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, HighschoolHunter said:

I have an F150 with 4x4 so that won’t be an issue for me, my first elk was a cow that I shot with my buddy’s .270

Bring chains or some recovery gear just in case. It can dump snow up there and better to be over prepared, I know from first hand experience. Good luck to ya, I'd say a .270 is plenty for a well placed shot @ 300 ish yards.

• Like 1

a .270 you are confident in. my first late bull hunt I was living in phoenix.  I felt  like I bought out cabelas and eddie bauer. either 1979 or 80;  both stores were quite different back then . luckily my boots were awesome. and them some. the snow on my first two late hunts were equal to this past year.