elecshoc

Effects of the virus scare?

30 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

What about all the famous folks and sports stars that get tested at will?? Are the studies testing all of these?

Money I'm America will get you in front of a lot of lines...  I'm not sure what the answer is to this, I'm sure if you have the cash there not much you can't get done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Not completely accurate. The reason everybody was so "terrified" of this virus (other than the media driving the hysteria) was because in the begging the mortality rate was perceived to be MUCH higher than it actually is/was. Now with more people being tested that percentage is "normalizing".

Those with "symptoms" who are being tested has also increased due in part to the availability of tests and the fact that so many more people THINK they have it now and want to be tested. Again, throw a wider net you catch more fish. It is just math. It would be the same with ANY communicable disease.

Still no reason to persist in driving the hysteria.

You said Hysteria. That's a bad word. 😫

1 hour ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Not completely accurate. The reason everybody was so "terrified" of this virus (other than the media driving the hysteria) was because in the begging the mortality rate was perceived to be MUCH higher than it actually is/was. Now with more people being tested that percentage is "normalizing".

Those with "symptoms" who are being tested has also increased due in part to the availability of tests and the fact that so many more people THINK they have it now and want to be tested. Again, throw a wider net you catch more fish. It is just math. It would be the same with ANY communicable disease.

Still no reason to persist in driving the hysteria.

The mortality rate as noted before in China was always high and experts knew that.  This was contributed to high smoker rates for older men, the death rates for women of the same age groups were much lower and experts noted we would probably fall somewhere in the middle.  

Here the x factor was the high rate of obesity and how well those would fare once infected.  Who knows how that's gonna end up.

Secondly the other concern and why the distancing was started was to keep from flooding the hospitals with patients.  This why China built hospitals from scratch and why Spain buckled to the brink of collapsing their health care system.  

Here in the US the numbers are still climbing and the morgues in New York are starting to fill. 

As long as those number keep climbing at exponetial rates there is still some concern.

3 minutes ago, elecshoc said:

The mortality rate as noted before in China was always high and experts knew that.  This was contributed to high smoker rates for older men, the death rates for women of the same age groups were much lower and experts noted we would probably fall somewhere in the middle.  

Here the x factor was the high rate of obesity and how well those would fare once infected.  Who knows how that's gonna end up.

Secondly the other concern and why the distancing was started was to keep from flooding the hospitals with patients.  This why China built hospitals from scratch and why Spain buckled to the brink of collapsing their health care system.  

Here in the US the numbers are still climbing and the morgues in New York are starting to fill. 

As long as those number keep climbing at exponetial rates there is still some concern.

You forgot "thirdly"

Thirdly, who the heck believes anything the Chinese say? Commies lie whenever their lips move.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Edge said:

You forgot "thirdly"

Thirdly, who the heck believes anything the Chinese say? Commies lie whenever their lips move.

Nope not one word.   Spain though is taking the full brunt of this and it kicked their arse.  

I do have more confidence in the US health care system to hold it together.  It will stress it though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, elecshoc said:

Yet the mortality percentage is going DOWN, which was my point.

All other numbers are going up both as the nature of ANY virus as well as the indisputable fact that as more tests are conducted more people will be found to be infected, even those who have shown NO SYMPTOMS.  Again, cast a wider net and you will catch more fish.

You are arguing against math to push an agenda.

Is the virus bad? Of course it is. Is it worth shutting down our country, taking away our freedoms and destroying lives and our economy?  A resounding NO!

FREEDOM should be just that. I should have the freedom to expose myself and possibly die and YOU should have the freedom to stay in your house and quit your job and protect YOURSELF from EVERYTHING that can kill you. Oh, but don't look up deaths from home accidents while you sequester yourself, it might cause a panic and cause a worldwide ban on domiciles.

Let me know when the Corona virus numbers surpass the FLU numbers. Then I will acquiesce and admit that I was wrong. Until then, I will err on the side of FREEDOM.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Yet the mortality percentage is going DOWN, which was my point.

All other numbers are going up both as the nature of ANY virus as well as the indisputable fact that as more tests are conducted more people will be found to be infected, even those who have shown NO SYMPTOMS.  Again, cast a wider net and you will catch more fish.

You are arguing against math to push an agenda.

Is the virus bad? Of course it is. Is it worth shutting down our country, taking away our freedoms and destroying lives and our economy?  A resounding NO!

FREEDOM should be just that. I should have the freedom to expose myself and possibly die and YOU should have the freedom to stay in your house and quit your job and protect YOURSELF from EVERYTHING that can kill you. Oh, but don't look up deaths from home accidents while you sequester yourself, it might cause a panic and cause a worldwide ban on domiciles.

Let me know when the Corona virus numbers surpass the FLU numbers. Then I will acquiesce and admit that I was wrong. Until then, I will err on the side of FREEDOM.

But most of us aren't worried about the death aspect of this for ourselves.  The majority of us are gonna be just fine.   

My thoughts of this and my understanding of why we're practising social distancing is to keep this away from the seniors, nursing homes and those who have previous afflictions that will make this fatal to them.  The thousands of cancer patients that are all ready immune deficient and those that are the weakest of the herd.  

I'm going through this as a numbers game and right now we are able to take care of those that are sick so mortality rates are low which is good.  But its not showing any signs of stopping or slowing down. 

Yes I understand what you are saying that the mortality rates are low and this seems like a big inconvenience for little loss.  But right now the biggest city in the US is starting to bow because of the pressure of having everyone come in sick from this virus at the same time.  

If we can prevent this from happening else where and slow this virus thus letting the health care workers do their jobs without becoming overworked we have a chance at keeping it low.  

We are no where near capacity with our hospitals and the health care system is holding up.   This what we wanted to accomplish correct?

So the question is do we keep this up and keep fighting the virus or do we take or losses now and throw our hands up and let the virus take what it will?   

Its your right to ask these questions and its still your right to practice your freedoms.   

A bunch of spring breakers just did that and now Florida is a hot spot.   

New Orleans just had fat Tuesday and now Louisiana is a hot spot.   

Yes it is in your rights to exercise your freedoms, I'll chill a bit and hopefully this is an overreaction because not doing enough will mean some good people will get really sick.

2 hours ago, elecshoc said:

But most of us aren't worried about the death aspect of this for ourselves.  The majority of us are gonna be just fine.   

My thoughts of this and my understanding of why we're practising social distancing is to keep this away from the seniors, nursing homes and those who have previous afflictions that will make this fatal to them.  The thousands of cancer patients that are all ready immune deficient and those that are the weakest of the herd.  

I'm going through this as a numbers game and right now we are able to take care of those that are sick so mortality rates are low which is good.  But its not showing any signs of stopping or slowing down. 

Yes I understand what you are saying that the mortality rates are low and this seems like a big inconvenience for little loss.  But right now the biggest city in the US is starting to bow because of the pressure of having everyone come in sick from this virus at the same time.  

If we can prevent this from happening else where and slow this virus thus letting the health care workers do their jobs without becoming overworked we have a chance at keeping it low.  

We are no where near capacity with our hospitals and the health care system is holding up.   This what we wanted to accomplish correct?

So the question is do we keep this up and keep fighting the virus or do we take or losses now and throw our hands up and let the virus take what it will?   

Its your right to ask these questions and its still your right to practice your freedoms.   

A bunch of spring breakers just did that and now Florida is a hot spot.   

New Orleans just had fat Tuesday and now Louisiana is a hot spot.   

Yes it is in your rights to exercise your freedoms, I'll chill a bit and hopefully this is an overreaction because not doing enough will mean some good people will get really sick.

Again....MATH

For the record:

"The CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 22,000 deaths, 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations.

The 2019-2020 influenza outbreak is MODERATE to LOW in overall severity."

That is WITH a vaccine!

So when are we shutting down the country and throwing away the Constitution and Bill of Rights for this?

If it weren't for the Media and the political weaponization creating the hysteria, would everyone be flooding the hospitals wanting to be checked for corona because they have the sniffles?

You stated "Its your right to ask these questions and its still your right to practice your freedoms."

This is the part that SCARES me. You are marching to the beat of the governments drum. Do I REALLY have that freedom right now? Seems to me that the government is doing a practice run at communism. They are saying who can work and where we can go. That doesn't sound like "freedom" to me.

A very appropriate line from Star Wars:

"And this is how Democracy dies...to thundering applause."

For complete disclosure, I am VERY far from the tin hat wearing government conspiracy type. But I am ANGRY that the citizenry is so willing to give up it's freedoms. I am ANGRY how quick we have been to punish EVERYONE out of fear that a FEW(mathematically speaking) might die. If those FEW are afraid THEY need to be responsible for themselves. Those FEW who are immune-compromised or otherwise vulnerable to this virus are ALSO vulnerable to the FLU! Do NOT punish me and my family for what MIGHT happen to someone else.

End of rant.

Carry on my friends.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Again....MATH

For the record:

"The CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 22,000 deaths, 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations.

The 2019-2020 influenza outbreak is MODERATE to LOW in overall severity."

That is WITH a vaccine!

So when are we shutting down the country and throwing away the Constitution and Bill of Rights for this?

If it weren't for the Media and the political weaponization creating the hysteria, would everyone be flooding the hospitals wanting to be checked for corona because they have the sniffles?

You stated "Its your right to ask these questions and its still your right to practice your freedoms."

This is the part that SCARES me. You are marching to the beat of the governments drum. Do I REALLY have that freedom right now? Seems to me that the government is doing a practice run at communism. They are saying who can work and where we can go. That doesn't sound like "freedom" to me.

A very appropriate line from Star Wars:

"And this is how Democracy dies...to thundering applause."

For complete disclosure, I am VERY far from the tin hat wearing government conspiracy type. But I am ANGRY that the citizenry is so willing to give up it's freedoms. I am ANGRY how quick we have been to punish EVERYONE out of fear that a FEW(mathematically speaking) might die. If those FEW are afraid THEY need to be responsible for themselves. Those FEW who are immune-compromised or otherwise vulnerable to this virus are ALSO vulnerable to the FLU! Do NOT punish me and my family for what MIGHT happen to someone else.

End of rant.

Carry on my friends.

I like the star wars quote.

Yes we have lost freedoms and I don't like the fact this has affected everyone in such a negative way.  I don't like the fact that I can't take my lady out like before and I'm only working 2 days out the week for the next two weeks.   

I'm not heralding the quarantine aspects of this and I've never told any one here to quarantine.  All I asked and what I've tried to do since the very first post of this was to get in idea of how all of this was having a direct effect on people here. 

The other part was to keep agenda driven options out of my discussions and to try to keep it a scientificly driven aspect to the numbers and try to see all different variables for whats happening with everything in the us. 

From the first post I noted the affects from our parts department and this ballooned up to me not having to work most of the week.  

Yes this all bad and its nuts scary for some and weird like watching a movie.  This hasn't happened since 1918 and guess what?   

All this discussion we had last night still hasn't changed the fact that this is still growing from hey heard my parts might be delayed from China to this guys postimg about someone on his block getting sick to knowing a Dr who got sick.

I've done my best to try to post info directly from the sources in a direct manner that doesn't get shaded in any particular direction politically.  I'm not one to watch CNN or fox just because I like Information not opinions.  I like to make the call myself and I try to give you as much info as I find thats informative and direct. You can make the call with what you will with that info.  

• Like 1

That's a small number. Almost 7.5 million people in Arizona. But from the looks of that map, I'm moving to Payson!

• Like 1

nothing in Gila county, because really not a reliable way to get tested.  Even though sonora quest does testing you need a script to get tested.  So most travel to PHX for a test.  That is what I did.

Has far has hospitals being filled up.  The hospitals in maricopa county were running consistently at over 98% capacity before this hit.  Most institutions have cancelled and elective procedures.  This does help with the room to treat people.

Social distancing?  not if you work in a hospital..........

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Wow! 3

Hospitals are very empty right now. I have 5-10 nurses that come into my office daily. They are all telling me the hospitals are very slow right now. Elective surgeries are cancelled, they are prepping for virus patients but they are very slow right now. They anticipate a surge soon.

• Like 1

All I’ll say is, there’s no need to panic, but if the general public saw the things we see on the front lines, everybody would be participating in the social distancing and constant hygiene. Most younger, healthyish people will be ok, but older people with significant health problems are very much at risk. And the younger “Safe” people are the ones who are gonna spread it to them. It’s just plain  self centered to not do our part to try and get a grip on this thing

• Like 2