tomgobbler

Day trip / over nighters ideas

Ide love some ideas to take some youth on either day trips or camp out over nighters .... even a family trip 

for example in the spring when it’s still cold up here in the wht mnts i like to take my scouts down by Roosevelt & camp & then sat morning go hike the tonto national monument & see the old Indian ruins / houses up in the cliffs . 

canyon de Chellley is another cool canyon to go see & hike down to the old dwellings at the bottom of that canyon ... 

anyway any good ideas ? For overnighter or day trips ? 

• Like 1

Beaver creek is a great overnighter hike spot

dead horse state park is another with good fishing

much overlooked vulture peak in wickenburg 

gisela

mogollon rim railroad tunnel trail

regal mesa/mine west of seneca lake.  a personal fav.

hardscrabble mesa west of strawberry

childs power plant/verde hot springs-fossil creek permit required i think.(never mind-road from strawberry is closed permanently)

lee's ferry

4 hours ago, elkaholic said:

7 falls hike in sabino canyon tucson

And bring a lion tag and a rifle.

• Like 1

biglakejake named a bunch of good ones that come to mind.  The salt river has some good spots, cottonwood, oak creek are also great hiking with fishing.  

You could do a day trip to Costco or Walmart and go on a scavenger hunt for toilet paper.  Could take days to declare a winner and there will be lots of life lessons learned about humanity.  ☹️

• Like 1

21 hours ago, biglakejake said:

childs power plant/verde hot springs-fossil creek permit required i think.(never mind-road from strawberry is closed permanently)

i suppose it is not too difficult to take 260 west and turn left on fossil creek road back eastbound.  a very wild river below the old plant, filmed 'Easy Rider' in the hot springs, 4x4 wet crossing to pine mtn wilderness, smallmouth, largemouth, channels and flathead.  no fossil creek permit necessary.

https://youtu.be/ApN1c-opQkw?t=2

• Like 2