Hullensian

Groupings are off. Need help.

Could us some help from the smart guys. 

Got a TC 300WM synthetic stock stock gun vortex 30mm picatiny rings mounting a vortex diamondback 4-12x40 scope. 

Last hunt I dropped it a couple times scrambling across hillsides. Nothing that felt like a big drop but it seems off now. 

Always shot the same ammo and could count on sub 1 inch groups at 100 but even off a bench with a lead sled I can’t seem to get em under three inches now. 

So the question is where do I start with the troubleshooting?  

Thanks all. 

Send the Vortex scope back to Vortex.  It is most likely broken.  When you get it back, sell it and buy another brand scope.  

• Like 8

I agree with the above comment except try the scope when you get it back, unless you can afford a new scope.

Double check make sure all screws are still tight.  Took a buddy on an depredation elk hunt. Got on elk first morning and he kept missing. Went to check the gun out and the srcew hold the stock to the action fell out! But yeah most likely the scope is the issue.  

• Like 3

Good advice from CatfishKev. If you have another scope to swap out you can try that too. I would swap it and then just sight it in on paper and shoot a group or two and see how consistent it is. Sending it back to Vortex would be worthwhile considering their warranty policy especially considering this is off season so turn around time should be pretty reasonable.

Chances are that dropping it usually only affects the scope itself and not the mounting but if the action wasn't tightened down enough there could now be some slop. Do you have a torque wrench you can double check everything with? 

2 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Send the Vortex scope back to Vortex.  It is most likely broken.  When you get it back, sell it and buy another brand scope.  

No other comments (including mine) after this one. 

• Like 2

Do what is mentioned above. 

1. Check all action, rail, and scope screws and test it. 

2. Send the scope back and check it once you get the new one. 

3. Have a Smith check the muzzle crown and test it.

4. Sell it. If you get all the way to step 4 you are probably going to be so frustrated and tired of this rifle you wont want to figure out what is wrong with it. 

When was the last time you cleaned your gun?   How do you clean your gun?   

Before I sent the scope back I would put another scope on the gun and see if your results are different.   My guess is you have a different issue than a scope.