Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Good Day at Pleasant

Went up to Lake Pleasant yesterday to shoot some pix of the new Hook Up Oufitters tackle shop at the Pleasant Bay marina for an article I'm doing in this week's Thurs. AZ Repulsive.

While my fishing partner and I were there, we went out on the lake with one of the guides and got into a good striper bite. After a few hours, we had caught 50 or so fish in the 2-4 pound range. It was great fun because we were using light spinning gear. All the fish were similar to the one in the photo of Bruce Fritz and one of his fish. -TONY

post-82-1211309121_thumb.jpg

tony- what were they bitin' on?

Any largemouth's?

AzP&Y

Doug

Now that sounds like fun. :D

AZP&Y

you now have the lucky number of posts. 666 :blink:

Doug,

All the fish were deep over structure like in 30-40 ft. of water. So we used mostly anchovies, but did catch a few on maribou jigs, too.

I'd tell you where but I would be chastised here for giving out a secret spot. And I don't want to have to kill you. ;)

Only one largemouth -- a teeny 1/2 pounder. -TONY

Tony,

Thanks for the info. I understand about secret fishing spots- they are like secret hunting spots- best kept to ones self!

Pleasant is one of the lakes that seems to consistantly produce awesome stripers...

Clay - I'm going to move onto 667 because I'm superstitious - I can hear 666 number of the beast monday May 26 when Iron Maiden comes to town ;)

Cats should be gettin active out at Pleasant as well!

AzP&Y

Doug

Doug,

I think Pleasant will eventually put out a few 40-50 pound stripers. Right now, a lot of the larger ones are probably up thr river end.

We caught most of our fish in two areas -- to the right side of the dam off the point not too far from the buoy line, and at the end of Waddel Point, the first one north of the Pleasant Bay Marina. We set up about 50 yards just west of the last white and black buoy over a relatively flat area.

The key to catching them is using a good fishfinder and knowing how to read it! ;) -TONY

Dang Tony, that sounds like it would have been a blast draggin' those fighters up from deeper water! I've only caught one striper at Pleasant and it was by accident, twas a 6 pounder though and up in the Humbug arm. Might have to try the anchovie thing some day soon! Thanks for the report, JIM>

Jim,

And those little 3 pounders do fight on light gear. That's why it was a blast. There were times where I had to let a fish run against the drag, which I had set fairly heavy.

This is one just over 5 pounds that we caught earlier in the year for an article I did on Pleasant for Cabela's Outfitter Journal. -TONY

post-82-1211322306.jpg

I stripper fished at Lake Powell about 15 years ago and it was a blast. Had about a 4 pounder hit him pumpkin seed/ chartreuse (sorry Gino, I have NO idea how to spell that) work about 4 INCHEs from the boat, it was awesome!

Hey Casey--were they good looking strippers or some of them ugly one's??

Hey Casey--were they good looking strippers or some of them ugly one's??

:lol:

Nice fish and great pics!

We've gone out last year and this year a few times to Pleasant and loaded up on the stripers, its great. We've also done the overnight fish, with crappie lights and really killed the stripers and whites that way too. I was told they want you to keep all the stripers too, even the small ones since they are really going after the shad. Tony's definitely right about knowing how to read the fish finder.

We used to do it every year at Powell as well, but now its more like every other year up that I find time to make it up there.

I stripper fished at Lake Powell about 15 years ago and it was a blast. Had about a 4 pounder hit him pumpkin seed/ chartreuse (sorry Gino, I have NO idea how to spell that) work about 4 INCHEs from the boat, it was awesome!

WTF are you into now Casey????? You caught a Stripper in Nevada and then what?????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P