Sign in to follow this  
rcdinaz

UTV Rifle Carrier/Case?

Has anyone found a good way to carry your rifle in your ATV, full size rifle with large scope?  I have a Teryx4 and the floor mount style would mean losing a seat.

The original Kolpin hard cases won't fit much of a scope.  I have a couple and would mount them but only a shogun would fit.  A +10lb gun seems like it may be asking for trouble to put in one of those roof mounts.  Looking like the only solution may be to put something custom together.  

Looking for ideas.  

I’ve been using this. It attaches to the back cross bars. However, if I ever get a rear window, I won’t be able to use it. Overall, I’m pretty happy.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/auto-atv/atv-utv/atv-utv-cargo-management/atv-utv-gun-storage-mounts/pc/104796180/c/630506880/sc/153416880/i/104194980/cabelas-double-gun-case/1755643.uts?slotId=4

I was looking at that one.  I hang a similar single rifle case I modified with a lot of padding now.  

Do you trust the case to carry 2 rifles?  I don't drive like a maniac just going too and from but I worry more about the rifles than I do the UTV. 😁

I put mine in a larger hard pelican case. 

There’s no way I’d put mine in a gun boot style or a soft case while in a utv. 

It’s pretty stout with lots of padding. It comes with a lot of straps, so I cinch it up pretty good. I’ve had two rifles with Ammo and no issues. But I drive like a grandpa, so that might make a difference. Lol

• Like 1

I also use the double rifle carrier, similar to the one listed above.  Never had an issue and have carried 2 rifles on quite a few trips.   Enough padding, the zippers are pretty crappy after a dusty ride, but compressed air fixes that.

It’s nothing like a soft case. It weighs 8 pounds empty, if that matters.

I use the one AZ8 posted.  It works great in the Ranger.   Been on many hunts in some rough country and never had any issues.  

I also run a soft case similar to what AZ8 posted. The case has worked great for holding 2 rifles, lots of padding to protect them and a bunch of straps to secure it.  I mounted mine on a Ranger and the only thing I’ve notice is it causes the dust to roll into the bed.  Any packs or coolers will be dusty.  I like the idea of mounting it to the roof, I’m gonna see if that will work for me next time. 

We kind of do both. Depending on the hunt and how many guns/optics etc, we can put optics in the hard case and guns in the soft case or guns in the hard case and optics underneath in cases or packs.  

IMG_2489.JPG

2 hours ago, krash73 said:

I also run a soft case similar to what AZ8 posted. The case has worked great for holding 2 rifles, lots of padding to protect them and a bunch of straps to secure it.  I mounted mine on a Ranger and the only thing I’ve notice is it causes the dust to roll into the bed.  Any packs or coolers will be dusty.  I like the idea of mounting it to the roof, I’m gonna see if that will work for me next time. 

Doesn't show real well in my picture, but I added a couple of wide cross straps to prevent any sagging. Made a huge difference.

On 3/23/2020 at 4:23 PM, AzDiamondHeat said:

Oh, I am in Gilbert if you would like to come by and see how I rigged it up and to see if something like that would fit/work for your rifle.

I like that setup!  I may take you up on taking a look when the craziness subsides.  I am in Gilbert/Chandler also & I have a Teryx.