Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Walking the streams

Lots of water coming down the rivers lately by the house..mostly small streams that finally see some water.

Found some interesting stuff walking around. It’s got me thinking of what I really *should* be looking for.. can anyone recommend a resource or book for absolutely beginners in looking for precious metals?

You could always volunteered to be edges monkey I bet he would teach you a lot. There are also clubs you can join

Foe, foe, foe,  fi , fi, fi. Who was that the AZ gold panners assc, our prospectors.  There used to be a TV show on channel eight. They have a web sight. And a metal detector

28 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Foe, foe, foe,  fi , fi, fi. Who was that the AZ gold panners assc, our prospectors.  There used to be a TV show on channel eight. They have a web sight. And a metal detector

GPAA Show?

• Like 1

Step one, you should try and connect with me so I can properly teach you how to pan. Using a pan is fundamental for sampling, It's not difficult but if you don't know how or what you're looking for you'll quickly become discouraged.

I highly recommend watching Jeff Williams videos, he makes geology fun and that ain't easy. Watch them then watch them again and again.

A good modern gold detector starts around $650 for the Fischer Gold Bugs or drop $850 on a simpler but more sensitive Minelab Gold Monster. There's a long, long learning curve for each and you'll mostly dig lead up for a long time. I'd get more familiar with geology and mining laws first.

To find gold you have to be on gold and know what signs to look for. You should be familiar with quartz, cobble, bedrock and contact zones. Look for hematite because gold wears an iron hat.

Last week I found a hematite deposit on the claim that's just begging to be processed. But it's too wet for dry washing and it will take a Herculean effort to get a hi banker, water and equipment up the hill where it's located.

I carried less than 4 gallons of dirt down the hill to pan out at home last Tuesday, and here's the result. I think it's safe to say I'm on the gold.

0317201909.thumb.jpg.41dbc519961e314e1b66cdae23380295.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1

6 hours ago, Edge said:

Step one, you should try and connect with me so I can properly teach you how to pan. It's not difficult but if you don't know how or what you're looking for you'll quickly become discouraged.

I highly recommend watching Jeff Williams videos, he makes geology fun and that ain't easy. Watch them then watch them again and again.

A good modern gold detector starts around $650 for the Fischer Gold Bugs or drop $850 on a simpler but more sensitive Minelab Gold Monster. There's a long, long learning curve for each and you'll mostly dig lead up for a long time. I'd get more familiar with geology and mining laws first.

To find gold you have to be on gold and know what signs to look for. You should be familiar with quartz, cobble, bedrock and contact zones. Look for hematite because gold wears an iron hat.

Last week I found a hematite deposit on the claim that's just begging to be processed. But it's too wet for dry washing and it will take a Herculean effort to get a hi banker, water and equipment up the hill where it's located.

I carried less than 4 gallons of dirt down the hill to pan out at home last Tuesday, and here's the result. I think it's safe to say I'm on the gold.

0317201909.thumb.jpg.41dbc519961e314e1b66cdae23380295.jpg

That is SUPER awesome!!!!!

My old man was a mining engineer/geologist (worked at the Ray copper pit for decades....).  No quail hunting trip was ever complete without a few words & commentary from him regarding the geological make-up of the surrounding earth/rock/ridges/etc. that we were hunting.  Miss that....    Anyway, when he retired he spent some time researching and exploring old mining claims in AZ and NV.  He would come home from his expeditions with a truck load of canvas ore bags from his various finds.  Some "panned-out" and some didn't.  Didn't matter, because he was mainly just exploring and playing around out of curiosity. 

Thanks for the thread/posts though, guys.  Brings back some good memories.

S.

• Like 2

Stanley

I've said it before, I would have been honored to have known your dad.

• Like 1

I have some videos to watch it looks like. Yeah great start thanks Edge!