Oldboar2

San Carlos Turkey hunt cancelled?

2 hours ago, knothead said:

Well that sucks.  My question is what is the their rationing when they made this decision?  Being out in nature is what we should all be doing.

What's up with their website?  It's been down for months.

They aren't closing down hunting, just all access by non-tribal members across the entire rez. Tribal members can still hunt.  But since non-members can't access the rez anyway, their resolution also suspended all of the issues licenses. 

2 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

Just read that the liberals are pissed because Doug Douchey didn't close golf courses.

Screenshot_2020-03-24-16-20-38.png

If the payday lender is a private business then they can do what they want. Chances are they’ll remain open and reap the benefits. Public golf courses will remain as such and people will do what they will.

f the res, I hope they choke on that 100,000 they got for the cancelled turkey hunts. never again

• Like 1

Can't beleive the libs are mad golf courses are open, Its outdoors , No diff. than Hunting!..............BOB!

• Like 1

And I bet San Carlos will Give back $ if not honor it for next year. Then maybee not. There are enough Guys that would still buy them for next year. I personally have never been there..............Good Luck Guys ................BOB!

22 minutes ago, naturebob said:

And I bet San Carlos will Give back $ if not honor it for next year. Then maybee not. There are enough Guys that would still buy them for next year. I personally have never been there..............Good Luck Guys ................BOB!

I have driven across it a few times and it is as beautiful as any other remote part of AZ. If I had a tag I would expect to get at least some of my fee back understanding that the Tribe incurred costs too that they need to retain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naturebob said:

I have the 2nd hunt so I'm hoping a miracle vaccine drops down upon us before April 11th.  As far as getting a refund or at least a tag next year goes I sent in my 2021 spring turkey money back in February.  So San Carlos Apache Tribe has $480 of mine already.  No name calling or hard feelings I just want to call turkeys & hunt.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, knothead said:

I have the 2nd hunt so I'm hoping a miracle vaccine drops down upon us before April 11th.  

4-11-21 is perfectly a reasonable date to expect a vaccine.

I don’t blame them for locking out you filthy white dudes. You see how this thing is blowing up everywhere else? 

On 3/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, Apache7mm said:

I spoke with the Law Enforcement and the Reservation has been temporarily closed to non-members for all activities including the Turkey hunts. Permits are not available at our vendors or the main office.

Like some have mentioned, things have been day to day and eventually ended up where they currently are with the closure. The Tribe passed a resolution yesterday which included no access to non-members in efforts to reduce risks.

Tribal employees are on 30 day administrative leave which ends on April 12th, however I'm sure the Tribe will evaluate and determine what steps come next.

If you have any questions the direct line to the Game and Fish Law Enforcement dispatcher is (928) 475-2236. Please understand though that they may not have anything in writing except for the Tribal Resolution and are also on a word of mouth communication. 

DAN

Sounds like they are having a rough time with COVID.  Sorry to hear.  I was through there a couple weeks ago and it looked like they had checkpoints at intersections to screen for locals vs. NR.  It will be a struggle until a vaccine is available.  Hope they can sort things out.  It has been a real blow to the Navajos.

They never did cash my check I sent in for the 2021 spring season but I guess I will be getting a refund for the 2020 that was cancelled.  Bitter sweet I suppose.  I would rather hunt.  I might try New Mexico this year or I just might go a week before the opener and shoot them with my camera here in AZ.