pkita99

Any beekeepers out there?

Hello,

Planning on getting into beekeeping this spring and looking for other local beekeepers to connect with. Would be nice to get some first hand local knowledge from folks that have been doing this around here.

Thanks!

Paul

• Like 1

PM cactus jack, I had posted a thread on here long time ago about it.  Also join a beekeeping forum and try and find someone local.   People are generally happy to share any knowledge they have.  

• Like 1

You tube, you tube, and you tube!

Here is a link of a good series, watch them all!!! Even though it’s older, we’ll worth it.

I have 10 frame hives but I will start buying 8 frame boxes because they are much lighter. Get started now and catch a swarm instead of buying $110 of bees. And remember all feral hives in warmer climates are somewhat africanized, you will find out. My bees are not, I replace the queen to Italian. 

• Like 1

Be ready for tons of hot hours in a suit.  Assume all bees you catch are Africanized.  Always wear your gear.  Tape your cuffs and zipper openings down. Wear leather boots, they will sting you through your shoes.  Its cheaper to buy honey.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vowell said:

You tube, you tube, and you tube!

Here is a link of a good series, watch them all!!! Even though it’s older, we’ll worth it.

I have 10 frame hives but I will start buying 8 frame boxes because they are much lighter. Get started now and catch a swarm instead of buying $110 of bees. And remember all feral hives in warmer climates are somewhat africanized, you will find out. My bees are not, I replace the queen to Italian. 

Thank you Sir! I have been watching a lot of beekeeping youtube but have not come across this series.

11 minutes ago, cactusjack said:

Be ready for tons of hot hours in a suit.  Assume all bees you catch are Africanized.  Always wear your gear.  Tape your cuffs and zipper openings down. Wear leather boots, they will sting you through your shoes.  Its cheaper to buy honey.  

I'm up in Flag so shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully they are also not as Africanized as down south. We will see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cactusjack said:

Up north you will deal with freezing,  less honey and bears.  

I really hope a bear shows up. Been itching to finally fill a bear tag :)

• Like 2