Sign in to follow this  
clintb

Looking for Unit 5A info

My nephew drew a left over youth elk tag for 5A. I have never been there, I'm planning on taking him and his brother up for the youth turkey hunt, so we can get some bearings. I ordered a forest service map and am scouring the net for info. 

Couple of questions

1. Places to stay or should I plan on taking my camper? 

2. Road conditions, I have been in units 1, 27, 3A. Are the forest roads similar?

3. Should I contact Clear Creek Ranch for access?

Any other info would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Lots of cows on the clear creek ranch, also back at the pine brake. Good luck to the kid. These guys will hook you up

• Like 1

Last year 5A was closed the entire youth turkey hunt due to extreme wet roads.  Hope its open this year.

I can help a little concerning the turkeys if you want

• Like 1

I will be helping with 5A cow tags there.  It is a great unit and should not be a hard tag to fill.  I killed my last two bulls in 5A and spend time up there after the hunt.  Bulls should still be talking and have some cows.  

• Like 1

Tons of turkeys in that unit, you shouldn't have a problem tagging out. Lots of camping right off the hiway or call and look into cabins at Clint's Well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CouesFanatic said:

How do you know he drew? Youth have no portal. I was under the impression I have to wait for my son to see what comes in the mail.

I was wishful thinking, that’s how I knew! Just kidding, the youths can have a portal account, after a certain age, I think 12 or 13. 

CE418711-368A-4A7C-9813-50C4D7124050.png

• Like 2

It’s actually age 14 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clintb said:

My nephew drew a left over youth elk tag for 5A. I have never been there, I'm planning on taking him and his brother up for the youth turkey hunt, so we can get some bearings. I ordered a forest service map and am scouring the net for info. 

Couple of questions

1. Places to stay or should I plan on taking my camper? 

2. Road conditions, I have been in units 1, 27, 3A. Are the forest roads similar?

3. Should I contact Clear Creek Ranch for access?

Any other info would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Camper

Similar to Unit 1. Roads vary from basically paved to 4X4 only.

Yes. But on those early hunts you can hit the pines too, and there are more elk in the pines.

• Like 1