New2Hunt20

Unit 3A late Bull Elk hunt

Hi everyone, new to this forum.  Hope everyone's faring  well in this coronapanic.

I've always hunted small game over the last few years but got pulled for the Nov/Dec bull elk hunt in Unit 3A/C.

Does anyone know 3A very well?  I was hoping to learn how to hunt this area, in general.  I see many Pronghorn, not bull elk. 

If anyone is hunting or scouting 3A and doesn't mind someone tagging along this year, let me know.  I'd love to learn the area.

Thanks

8 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

I can’t believe people are jumping in to tell you where to go. 

Excuse me?

Ok, nevermind.  I won't post here anymore.  I'm just unfamiliar with 3A and thought someone would have some tips on the area and wasn't asking for hotspots.

I'll just drive around & scout the area myself.

1 minute ago, New2Hunt20 said:

There ya go! That's how its done!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, New2Hunt20 said:

Excuse me?

Ok, nevermind.  I won't post here anymore.  I'm just unfamiliar with 3A and thought someone would have some tips on the area since it's so big and wasn't asking for hotspots.

That’s exactly what most people do.

Yes, I have many many times. Some elk live full year and alot move down for the winter.   If you have alot of snow on the rim it will push more elk out there. 

We see deer, pigs, antelope all the time while killing elk in 3a.

1 minute ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Yes, I have many many times. Some elk live full year and alot move down for the winter.   If you have alot of snow on the rim it will push more elk out there. 

We see deer, pigs, antelope all the time while killing elk in 3a.

Flatline maps doesn't have 3A for some reason.  What do you use?

2 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

30 years of scouting and hunting it. I don't use any maps anywhere I hunt except Kaibab because we seldomly hunt there.

Thanks.  I'll scout around this weekend & see what's out there.

Are you new to AZ hunting? Have you ever hunted Elk before? Keep in mind some Elk spend their lives in Juniper vegetation zone. Like all hunting you look for cover, feed and water. An effective part of scouting is boots on the ground, bushwhacking for sign gives you a better feel for how well used an area is. Good luck.

1 minute ago, AZAV8ER said:

Are you new to AZ hunting? Have you ever hunted Elk before? Keep in mind some Elk spend their lives in Juniper vegetation zone. Like all hunting you look for cover, feed and water. An effective part of scouting is boots on the ground, bushwhacking for sign gives you a better feel for how well used an area is. Good luck.

Yes, I'm new to big game like Elk.  I've usually hunt small game like dove, which is easy.

At this point, I'm unfamiliar with the habitat but do plan on scouting the area.

21 hours ago, New2Hunt20 said:

Yes, I'm new to big game like Elk.  I've usually hunt small game like dove, which is easy.

At this point, I'm unfamiliar with the habitat but do plan on scouting the area.

3A is big make sure you get a topo map if flat line isn’t available. Like others said boots 🥾 on the ground is best way to learn. And not familiar with the area make sure you at least take a GPS so you can mark your vehicle before you start roaming around this way if you lose sight your ride you can find it using your GPS . Plus you can mark spots you want to return to later.