Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Where Am I? What am I

9 minutes ago, dse said:

Indian ruins in 19a

Right unit, not Indian ruins

21 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

western terminus of gen. crook wagon road?

dang, your good.

Above pics are of the army gun emplacements guarding the Grief Hill army trail from 1865-1870 and later the Crook Trail.

The supply wagons from Ft Whipple were unloaded in this area and packed onto mule trains for the trip down to Camp Verde. 

Was a great spot for the Yavapai or Apaches to ambush so this outpost was built.0326201705.thumb.jpg.791c0fce5e41f1674a1d973471706747.jpg

Much of the wall has collapsed but some small arms portals still exist 0326201606b.thumb.jpg.e741d1a538e17a79adf90993c2bf89d2.jpg

and mountain Howitzers would have been placed between battlements.0326201545.thumb.jpg.5cbf3273e26c6aeb8c7dd497d68dc87e.jpg

16393714198_95f1095a1a_o.thumb.jpg.1a9acb238686a8542f7b1dbdcc6cf743.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

i think it was 1969-mom pointed up there and said it was like the alamo with cannons in the gaps.  but just to scare the indians off the road in the old days.

lee

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

i think it was 1969-mom pointed up there and said it was like the alamo with cannons in the gaps.  but just to scare the indians off the road in the old days.

lee

Yes the 12 pounder Bull Pup had only a thousand yard range at 5 degrees elevation. 

Your ma knew her history. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

You can get P38's on the internet, maybe leave something? How many people have signed the book?

I left two bucks, you should hobble up here and find it. P38 is my prize I don't need one off the internet, got one in my pocket 

There must be 2 dozen signatures. Third geocache I've stumbled upon.

12 minutes ago, Edge said:

I left two bucks, you should hobble up here and find it. P38 is my prize I don't need one off the internet, got one in my pocket 

There must be 2 dozen signatures. Third geocache I've stumbled upon.

Tim, I might have to do that. I had a doctor visit this morning and he said I can start standing and putting pressure on the ankle and the xray looked good. So this week I will start doing that and the following week I can start to walk on it as long as I keep the boot on. So probably in two weeks I should be able to wear shoes again.

Slowly getting there.

• Like 5

I found one similar in 17A years ago 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ed67 said:

I found one similar in 17A years ago 

I'd like to see it. PM me where about if you'd like.