AGFD -- Leftover elk permit-tags remain

Logo

GAME AND FISH NEWS

March 27, 2020

Leftover elk permit-tags remain
only for "low density" hunt 
Applications will be accepted in person beginning at 8 a.m. Monday, March 30 

Elk_-_Cow.JPG

PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department’s random draw for 2020 elk hunts has been over for weeks, and all leftover permit-tags are gone — with one exception.

More than 600 hunt permit-tags remain available for the minimal occurrence zone/low-density hunt in game management units 12A, 12B, 13A and 13B. There are two ways that hunters can purchase these leftovers on a first-come, first-served basis:
  • By mail: The preferred method would be to mail a paper application addressed to: Arizona Game and Fish Department, Attn.: Draw/First Come, 5000 W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85086. Note: There is no “mini” draw. Allow 10 to 15 days to receive a permit-tag by mail. 
  • In person: Applications will be accepted in person beginning at 8 a.m. Monday, March 30, at any of the department’s regional offices
Before mailing that application, or venturing out to a department office, hunters are reminded that these four units combined have an extremely low-density elk population of less than 50 animals. The department is specifically managing these units for wildlife values other than elk, and an established population is not desirable. The intent of this particular hunt (Hunt No. 3799) is to eliminate this elk population.

Those who purchase one of these permit-tags should be aware that because of extremely low densities, hunt success likely will be less than 5 percent. Only those who did not receive a  permit-tag in the random draw may buy one of these permit-tags. Bonus points are not affected when purchasing a permit-tag through the first-come, first-served process.

The cost of a permit-tag is $48, which includes a $13 non-refundable application fee. A non-resident hunt permit-tag is $50, which includes a $15 non-refundable application fee. The hunt dates are April 15-Oct. 8, and Oct. 23-Dec. 31, 2020. A bull or cow elk may be harvested. 

For more information, view the “ 2020 Pronghorn, Elk and Raptor Capture Hunt Draw Information” booklet online, or call (602) 942-3000.  

If I dont get drawn for deer this year maybe i will buy a kaibab elk tag so i can hunt kaibab for something at least.

Find some big bucks and just dream of the day I may get to pull the trigger on one. 

On 3/28/2020 at 4:45 PM, biglakejake said:

He lives!!

Hector LIVES!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I have been watching Longmire on Netflix. 

• Like 1