jknister

Youth Turkey?

So the governor has issued a stay at home order until April 30.  It is my understanding that Outdoor recreation that provides for social distancing is still allowed.  I still plan on taking my daughter out to 6A for the spring turkey hunt.  Just hope the roads are open.  We'll be socially distant for sure.

Anybody else going?

20 minutes ago, jknister said:

So the governor has issued a stay at home order until April 30.  It is my understanding that Outdoor recreation that provides for social distancing is still allowed.  I still plan on taking my daughter out to 6A for the spring turkey hunt.  Just hope the roads are open.  We'll be socially distant for sure.

Anybody else going?

My 10 year old son has same tag. We plan on heading up the evening before to hopefully get some located on the roost. We will be up off Stoneman lake Rd. Hoping the warm up this week will dry those back roads up a little. Safest place I can think of to do some social distancing.... except those Tom's, hope they haven't got the memo! Take care, Mark

• Like 1

If the hunts are still happening ,I would think Forrest Service would be in conjunction with Game & Fish on it , and open roads. Where I go in White mtns they generally don't open the roads till a few days before the hunts cause of snow and even if just mud Guys shed hunting will tear them up!...........BOB!

Coconino typically opens roads around April 15, I’ll be in 5A with two of my grandsons. The boys have been practicing and are ready to go!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elkaddict said:

Coconino typically opens roads around April 15, I’ll be in 5A with two of my grandsons. The boys have been practicing and are ready to go!

Last year most if not all of the roads going into 5A were closed the entire youth season.  Hope thats not the case this year.  Good luck to you guys, have fun.

1 hour ago, Elkaddict said:

We'll be in the same unit for my kids, unless I get a whim and end up in 5BS.  Yes, the roads typically open before the youth hunt, unless there is a crazy amount of moisture.

48 minutes ago, jknister said:

Last year most if not all of the roads going into 5A were closed the entire youth season.  Hope thats not the case this year.  Good luck to you guys, have fun.

Last year, there was still a couple of feet of snow in most of the turkey hunting areas of 5A, so the FS didn't really have a choice but to keep the roads closed.  And those that weren't snow-covered were extremely muddy.  That is far from the case this year with the lackluster winter we've had in northern Arizona.

19 minutes ago, IA Born said:

We'll be in the same unit for my kids, unless I get a whim and end up in 5BS.  Yes, the roads typically open before the youth hunt, unless there is a crazy amount of moisture.

Last year, there was still a couple of feet of snow in most of the turkey hunting areas of 5A, so the FS didn't really have a choice but to keep the roads closed.  And those that weren't snow-covered were extremely muddy.  That is far from the case this year with the lackluster winter we've had in northern Arizona.

Interesting you say lackluster because I feel the same way about what winter moisture we have received but during spring break I went to check out FS26 just north of Hannigan Meadow down in unit 27. It was the muddiest I have ever seen.....sloppy muddy where I turned around and just let it be. I've turned around for snow on the 26 but never mud......

• Like 1

I drove down Lake Mary Rd over the weekend heading back home from Flagstaff.  From my observation, there was mud everywhere and lots of standing water in the usual spots.  Most of the smaller roads that shoot off LM Rd were pretty muddy.  If this warm weather holds for 10 days or so, that should help. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Interesting you say lackluster because I feel the same way about what winter moisture we have received but during spring break I went to check out FS26 just north of Hannigan Meadow down in unit 27. It was the muddiest I have ever seen.....sloppy muddy where I turned around and just let it be. I've turned around for snow on the 26 but never mud......

Overall, its been a lackluster winter for snow, but March is typically our wettest month (snow/rain).  That last big system that pushed through over spring break certainly dumped a large amount of needed moisture, but we're still in an overall deficit.  If FS26 (know it well) was too muddy, that certainly says something!

2 hours ago, IA Born said:

Overall, its been a lackluster winter for snow, but March is typically our wettest month (snow/rain).  That last big system that pushed through over spring break certainly dumped a large amount of needed moisture, but we're still in an overall deficit.  If FS26 (know it well) was too muddy, that certainly says something!

It was good to see so much water! Headed back over there this weekend!!!

• Like 1

Anybody else gonna be in 5BN for Youth Hunt? We are leaving next Wednesday from Tucson.

Try to get some located Wednesday and Thursday.

My buddy saw a group of 100 turkey together today but in Unit 32. 

Hopefully getting active this week??