jknister

Youth Turkey?

2 hours ago, jknister said:

I cant remember a Youth Turkey opening weekend where it wasnt windy 😕  . Or snowed or rained

I know. But man I dream of an calm opening weekend and it just never happens 

honestly I’d be happy with snow. As long as there’s no wind

• Like 1

Anyone know if FR 249 from Alpine to Big Lake is open yet. I called the ranger district and he acted like he didn’t want me using “his” forest! Told me the road might not be open til mid May. Says it’s covered with snow drifts and downed trees. ADOT says they are opening SR273 and 261 on April 15. Hoping to take the kids up next weekend for the hunt/fish combo. Happy Easter! 

1 hour ago, AzHunterz said:

Anyone know if FR 249 from Alpine to Big Lake is open yet. I called the ranger district and he acted like he didn’t want me using “his” forest! Told me the road might not be open til mid May. Says it’s covered with snow drifts and downed trees. ADOT says they are opening SR273 and 261 on April 15. Hoping to take the kids up next weekend for the hunt/fish combo. Happy Easter! 

261 is open from Eagar to Big Lake.  Went up fishing Friday evening.  

Brian

• Wow! 2

13 minutes ago, standman said:

261 is open from Eagar to Big Lake.  Went up fishing Friday evening.  

Brian

AND THE REPORT???????????????

3 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Slowwww!!!   Friend of mine caught one 20” cutthroat.  Only bite in two hours.  Just a bad evening.  I know of other good day’s friends have had 😁

Brian

28 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Yeah friend of mine has been up there. Says it’s been slow. Maybe couple more weeks?

My son got his Tom on day 2 in 6a. We had calm conditions every morning till around 8:00am. Roads were a little muddy but not bad. We roosted birds the night before and came back the next morning and called in 2 toms with a hen call and a Dave Smith hen decoy. Was a pretty cool set. 

• Like 3

Thats awesome ruthunter.  We were in 6A as well.  Saturday we called one in but he stayed just outside of shotgun range.  Yesterday they were going nuts on the roost, went silent on the ground.  Then after 20 minutes started gobbling but not responding to us.  They shut up around 7:30.  We'll be back out there Wed. and Thurs. morning.

We always know when its turkey season up here because the wind is blowing, starts mid march and will blue thru June, and I mean like clock work every year.

• Like 1

Having fun! One of the grandsons rolled one at 30 yds, just hit the feathers, nothing in neck or head. Rolled then jumped up and flew across the canyon. That was on the second day, today the same grandson had three gobblers appear at 25 yds and didn’t take the shot, I was 4 yds from him and kept saying “shoot” but lots of things going on in his mind:

1- they were gobbling but when they came out of the canyon they weren’t strutting so didn’t know if they were Toms

2-thought the beard was on the chin and didn’t see one till they got close enough to see there chest

3- thought they were probably too far.

He says he won’t be able to sleep tonight 😂