Sign in to follow this  
Snapshot

Writing a book.

I am doing a little part time writing on the side, and hopefully will be finished with my book called " A Hunters Quest" later this year, if I am lucky enough to get it into print, it might be available by late 2009????

I am doing a little part time writing on the side, and hopefully will be finished with my book called " A Hunters Quest" later this year, if I am lucky enough to get it into print, it might be available by late 2008????

You may want to consider another title. There is at least one hunting consultant company -- as well as Dallas Safari Club's magazine -- called "Hunters Quest."

If you finish writing your book later this year, don't expect to see copies by late 2008 unless you self-publish and work directly with a printer.

Established publishers of hunting titles usually want at least six months to edit the manuscript, design and "build" the pages, ship and correct page proofs, and print and bind their books. If they print and bind in Asia as most do, you can add two months for shipment by boat.

Six to twelve months for production is about par for the books I've worked on for my clients. My own book was bought by Safari Press and delivered to that company in late February, and I've been told it won't be released until the SCI convention in Reno in January.

Have you sold yours to a publisher yet, or are you going to self-publish it? How will it be marketed?

Bill Quimby

Yeah that may be optimistic, as it usually takes a year from publishers acceptance to the time it gets to print. They may not even accept it and I may do a vanity or POD type thing, the title could change based on title copyrights, etc.?

The book titled " A Hunters Quest" is a philospohical journey into the life of a hunter, hunting camps, fathers, freinds and hunting companions, and what we experience on the spiritual side of hunting as well as the good and bad that goes along with it. It is a blend of real life, humor, sadness, and personal reflection through the eyes of an average hunter/outdoorsman.

I bought some informational books on self publishing as well as dealing with the giant publishers. I certainly have a lot to learn, as I am not a proffessional writer. But I do enjoy writing. I am a little too philosophical for my own good sometimes, but it will reflect well in this book.

Hopefully I will have it completed by October.

The late 2008 date in my original post is an error, I meant late 2009!

Yeah that may be optimistic, as it usually takes a year from publishers acceptance to the time it gets to print. They may not even accept it and I may do a vanity or POD type thing, the title could change based on title copyrights, etc.?

The book titled " A Hunters Quest" is a philospohical journey into the life of a hunter, hunting camps, fathers, freinds and hunting companions, and what we experience on the spiritual side of hunting as well as the good and bad that goes along with it. It is a blend of real life, humor, sadness, and personal reflection through the eyes of an average hunter/outdoorsman.

I bought some informational books on self publishing as well as dealing with the giant publishers. I certainly have a lot to learn, as I am not a proffessional writer. But I do enjoy writing. I am a little too philosophical for my own good sometimes, but it will reflect well in this book.

Hopefully I will have it completed by October.

The late 2008 date in my original post is an error, I meant late 2009!

I worked in virtually every phase of the publishing industry over the past fifty years before I took up ghost writing books for international trophy hunters in my retirement. If you need help or want to run something past me, PM me.

Bill Quimby

I worked in virtually every phase of the publishing industry over the past fifty years before I took up ghost writing books for international trophy hunters in my retirement. If you need help or want to run something past me, PM me.

Bill Quimby

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. I was reading some statistics of how many manuscripts are submitted to publishers vs. how many get rejected, not good! I will have alot of polishing and presenting to do.

"I was reading some statistics of how many manuscripts are submitted to publishers vs. how many get rejected, not good! "

That's why most pros send book proposal queries to publishers before they actually sit down to write a book.

Bill Quimby

Not very good. I have kind of put it on the back burner for now until I get back on track with work and schedules. things have been so hectic I just have not had the energy or focus to write. But it will get finished.

I just flew to Minnesota and back in two days for my Grandma's funeral, and I can say I do not miss the weather back there. 3 degree's with brutal wind chill and snow. Brrrrrrrrrr.!

Not very good. I have kind of put it on the back burner for now until I get back on track with work and schedules. things have been so hectic I just have not had the energy or focus to write. But it will get finished.

I just flew to Minnesota and back in two days for my Grandma's funeral, and I can say I do not miss the weather back there. 3 degree's with brutal wind chill and snow. Brrrrrrrrrr.!

Where in Minnesota? I had Safari magazine printed at a publishing plant in Long Prairie, and made a half dozen business trips there. This gave me the opportunity to hunt some very large whitetail bucks twice near a place called Black Duck. After a scary night driving the 120 miles to Long Prairie alone in a snowstorm that dumped 36 inches on the Twin Cities, I vowed to never return to Minnesota in the winter -- and I never did.

Bill Quimby

My sister and I flew to Minneapolis and then drove south 80 miles to Albert Lea where we are originally from. We left the rental car lot in a snow storm and my sister was stressing out trying to drive in it, so I took over. We finally got to our motel at 3:00 a.m.

On our way back to Minneapolis we stopped at my other Grandparents house for a couple hour visit and they showed me a picture of my cousins big heavy 10 pt. whitetail taken up by Baudette close to the Canadian border. It was a nice rack but the body was huge.

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

TJ

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

TJ

Thanks TJ. :)

I have been traveling most of the week. Got back Thursday night and then had to go to North Scottsdale to the Pinnacle Peak steak house for a company party Friday night. Nice thing is, they put me and my wife up for the night at the Xona Resort suites in Scottsdale.

Sad news is the bartender told me they are tearing down Pinnacle Peak Patio and steakhouse next year and putting in a resort. 52 years of history going to be gone. I still have a tie hanging up in there from when I was a kid 30 odd years ago.