AGFD -- 2020 bighorn sheep hunt recommendations online

Logo

GAME AND FISH NEWS

March 31, 2020

2020 bighorn sheep, migratory bird
hunt recommendations posted online
Amendments to deer, small game hunts also available for review 

Bighorn_Sheep_-_Ram_1.jpg?1525476432

PHOENIX —  The Arizona Game and Fish Department’s 2020 hunt recommendations for bighorn sheep and migratory birds, as well as some 2020 deer and small-game hunts, are  available for review online at www.azgfd.gov/huntguidelines.

The department annually makes recommendations to the Arizona Game and Fish Commission regarding the management of game species, which establish the seasons, dates, bag limits, open areas and permit-tag allocations based on the framework of the hunt guidelines set by the Commission. 

The proposed recommendations will be presented to the Commission for consideration during its April 17 meeting. The department will share meeting logistics at a later date. The agenda will be posted at www.azgfd.com/Agency/Commission

Questions or comments on these recommendations, prior to the Commission meeting, may be submitted by email to azhuntguidelines@azgfd.gov, or by contacting any department office statewide and asking to speak to a biologist. No formal presentations are planned.  

To learn more about the hunt recommendations and hunt guidelines processes, visit www.azgfd.gov/huntguidelines.

I wonder if there was a pissing match or problems on the 43b hunt last year.  Tags went back up and they are splitting the season.  Glad I got mine 10 years ago.  Nowhere near as appealing to pick that hunt now.

On 4/9/2020 at 7:00 AM, Heat said:

I wonder if there was a pissing match or problems on the 43b hunt last year.  Tags went back up and they are splitting the season.  Glad I got mine 10 years ago.  Nowhere near as appealing to pick that hunt now.

Hard to be a pissing match when most of the tags went to a single family.  🙂

The sheep surveys showed the population way up in both 43B and the Kofas.  My guess is that they felt like they could handle 8 tags in 43B, but that it would get really crowded with that many hunters at one time.  They've been doing the split seasons in several units now. 

• Like 2