Sign in to follow this  
rugermack

Turkey unit 27

Morning all, I haven't hunted turkey in unit 27 since the Bear Wallow fire. anybody have any tips on locations ? My buddy was up there last year but didn't see any. I find that hard to believe. I have killed several over the years there but wasn't sure what to expect post fire. I used to hunt 25 road by Mckibbons pond. Pretty much always got one. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you ever tried locating birds early am before light? I do this all the time and find them in areas and units I’ve never hunted. Easiest way to find them IMO. 27 has lots of turkey

I always call while they are in the roost, just haven't hunted there since the fire. I've killed 7 or 8 there.

More a post fire question

Immediately following the fire I think they were displaced, but the past few years I’ve seen them in the same places as always plus a lot in the burns. I’d say go back to the areas you know and should be fine. 

Thanks, that's what I was looking to hear. I haven't drawn 27 since the fire.

3 hours ago, rugermack said:

Thanks, that's what I was looking to hear. I haven't drawn 27 since the fire.

I only hunted turkeys up there a couple times before the fire but they seem to be in the same areas I’d seen them before and more. They seem to like the burns too...

might be up there next weekend for youth hunt if I can find out how the roads are...plus this system coming in this weekend may make things sloppier. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 8:07 PM, rugermack said:

I always call while they are in the roost, just haven't hunted there since the fire. I've killed 7 or 8 there.

More a post fire question

One thing I noticed is just the sheer number of trees that have finally fallen after the fire, at first most trees were just sticking up in the air because that fire came through so hot and fast. Now those standing trees are now piling up! We have seen plenty of turkey in burn areas and like has been said, right now water really isn't an issue! I was kicking around 27 over Easter and recommend packing a chainsaw if possible. We encountered lots of trees across roads.......

One of my favorite spots for turkey got nuked by the fire but I found sign and have seen turkey in that area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

One thing I noticed is just the sheer number of trees that have finally fallen after the fire, at first most trees were just sticking up in the air because that fire came through so hot and fast. Now those standing trees are now piling up! We have seen plenty of turkey in burn areas and like has been said, right now water really isn't an issue! I was kicking around 27 over Easter and recommend packing a chainsaw if possible. We encountered lots of trees across roads.......

One of my favorite spots for turkey got nuked by the fire but I found sign and have seen turkey in that area.

I had wondered how long all those toothpicks in the moonscape would last before they started falling...agree on the spots. Even the areas I know that were totally burned still have birds. 

• Like 1