IA Born

Pistol Steel Question

Will this set up work for pistols at close range? We built it for rifles at 100 yes and beyond, obviously, but want to try something different to make pistol shooting a little more interesting, especiallyfor my family. I figured I'd get some (hopefully) expert opinions here before I find out the hard way and put my family in danger. The plate has an angle away because of the way I set the bolts/hanger.

20200410_142118.thumb.jpg.6d97ebd762d8f9e0d55899c2bbd1acb2.jpg

I don't really know but the ISPC Steel matches seem fairly close I would think maybe ok if you are at least 25 or more yards away.

The steel matches are definitely pretty close range. I've shot quite a bit of steel at pistol ranges, just make sure to wear eye protection. Sometimes little bullet fragments will come back at you, I don't think it's enough to cause a mortal wound, but could put an eye out.  Obviously if you go shoot an actual steel match, they require eye protection, and ear protection of course. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AZ Free Man said:

The steel matches are definitely pretty close range. I've shot quite a bit of steel at pistol ranges, just make sure to wear eye protection. Sometimes little bullet fragments will come back at you, I don't think it's enough to cause a mortal wound, but could put an eye out.  Obviously if you go shoot an actual steel match, they require eye protection, and ear protection of course. 

Thats good to know. We'll be shooting fmjs and probably lead round nose in my wife's Uberti .45lc. Do you shoot frangibles, or will we be ok with fmjs/l rn? And we don't ever shoot without eye/ear protection. Thanks again!

I've shot a little bit of everything, but the vast majority have been plated and cast lead (obviously pretty soft as far a boolits go).  If I remember correctly, if you go shoot a Tuesday night steel match, they dont make sure you're shooting a certain type of bullet.  I have seen people get tiny cuts though from fragments coming back😮.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZ Free Man said:

I've shot a little bit of everything, but the vast majority have been plated and cast lead (obviously pretty soft as far a boolits go).  If I remember correctly, if you go shoot a Tuesday night steel match, they dont make sure you're shooting a certain type of bullet.  I have seen people get tiny cuts though from fragments coming back😮.

Thanks!

Long sleeves, pants, and eye protection. You will get splatter at pistol ranges. Heck, I shot a steel plate at about 45yds with my 45-70 and caught a nasty splatter that went through my jacket and cut me pretty good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

Long sleeves, pants, and eye protection. You will get splatter at pistol ranges. Heck, I shot a steel plate at about 45yds with my 45-70 and caught a nasty splatter that went through my jacket and cut me pretty good. 

Thanks! Between your insight and AZ Free Man's, I'm thinking this is a no-go for the family. I can already hear their reactions to "Bundle up so we can protect ourselves from bullet fragments!" My son would probably be in, but not so much my wife and daughter. 

Pistol splatter isn't bad as long as you understand it may happen. I love shooting steel matches. Just give it some range, dont be shooting it at 5 yards. There is nothing better then ringing steel fast.

• Like 1

I shot Tuesday steel regularly for a few years.  I had one piece of someone’s jacket come back and get through my jeans and into my leg.  Had to drop pants and dig it out.  Wear eye protection to prevent a serious issue, otherwise have fun.

• Like 1