Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Big horn sheep range?

We bumped into a G&F Ranger tranquilizing cow elk on FS 26!

Visited with him while he waited for the cow to go down! 

Asked him about the sheep in the general and specifically how far they range from one place to another!

Quote, “We has a ram from this area show up down by Deming, NM!”

Is that even realistic? Amazing if so!

1 hour ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

We bumped into a G&F Ranger tranquilizing cow elk on FS 26!

Visited with him while he waited for the cow to go down! 

Asked him about the sheep in the general and specifically how far they range from one place to another!

Quote, “We has a ram from this area show up down by Deming, NM!”

Is that even realistic? Amazing if so!

They will go a long way to find a pc of butt.  bunch of years ago one came out of verde drainage( i think it was) walked down the west side of I-17 and hung out at lake pleasant marina.

sorry it was west clear creek he came out of.

added heres some pics and the note I got from brian at AZG&F may of 2008

https://www.azbasszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63590&highlight=bighorn+sheep

Based on capture records, this young Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep ram was captured as a two year old in November 2006 on the Phelps Dodge (Freeport) mine property near Clifton-Morenci. He was released in the West Clear Creek drainage east of Camp Verde shortly thereafter. Although most of the sheep released in West Clear Creek have remained at that location, this young ram is apparently missing all the human interaction he used to have on the mine and is seeking meaningful relationships at Lake Pleasant.

Rams have a tendency to roam somewhat more than do ewes, but they often return to the herd after an extended walkabout.

100_3237.jpg

100_3238.jpg

100_3239.jpg

100_3242.jpg

100_3245.jpg

• Like 2

That seems unbelievable, but the areas between there and Deming are not too populated so I guess it could be true.  There are so many people out there that it would seem someone would report a lone sheep between those two places. Maybe even have pics at water holes.

I remember a story that was told to me about 25 years ago about a collared elk near Escudilla was found near Anderson Mesa three days later.  That part seems fishy, the three days part, but it doesn’t seem impossible that a transient bull could go that far.  In Wyoming, deer migrate over 100 miles.

• Like 1

Years ago there was a 5x5 bull elk just north of Picacho peak for about 10-11 months. There was a collared ram at Sandario rd and Ajo rd that traveled to the saw tooth mountains. I guess they need time to think or just need to take a walk.

• Like 1