Red Rabbit

Hammer hunter in 6.5 WSM

11 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Have you thought about a different powder or primer?  Seems your ES/SD is quite high.  

RL23, H1000, Retumbo, RL26 (just watch temps over 85°), N565, N570.

Lance, I have 3# of H1000 to try.  It worked well with the previous barrel, a 1:8.5 polygonal Pac-Nor.  From my previous data, looks like one would use about 1 gr less H1000 compared to the Ramshot Magnum for comparable velocities.  I wonder though how much of the variation is due to the ProChrono chronograph I have, as it displayed a single velocity of 3800 in one string.  Chrono was in the mid-day sun with sky screens.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

Have you thought about a different powder or primer?  Seems your ES/SD is quite high.  

RL23, H1000, Retumbo, RL26 (just watch temps over 85°), N565, N570.

Ramshot has been the best powder I have found in one of my 7mmRM.  I like what Lance suggests because I remember switching from Fed Match primers to standard CCI primers and getting much more consistency.  

• Like 1

My 257 weatherby likes standard Winchester magnum primers over Fed. Match.

19 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

Lance, I have 3# of H1000 to try.  It worked well with the previous barrel, a 1:8.5 polygonal Pac-Nor.  From my previous data, looks like one would use about 1 gr less H1000 compared to the Ramshot Magnum for comparable velocities.  I wonder though how much of the variation is due to the ProChrono chronograph I have, as it displayed a single velocity of 3800 in one string.  Chrono was in the mid-day sun with sky screens.

Load up 15 of your best load and go shoot at distance.  

That will give you a lot of data of what the load is doing, more so than 100 yard groups.  I have been doing all my load development at distance (545 yds) for the past 6-7 weeks (since Ben Avery has been shut down), and it really shows what the loads are liking.  Then checking them at 749, 851, 960.

Shoot 3 shot groups at distances like 400, 500, 600, 700, 800.  If you really have 80+ES, that should show up.  

• Like 1

Used the last 5 Hammer Hunters with some CCI 250 primers.  Groups and ES/SD got worse.  A new box of bullets should arrive soon to try H1000 instead of the Ramshot Magnum.

Is there a big difference in powder loads for these vs the same weight of standard VLD bullets?  I finally got my Badlands but just determined the powder charge I am going to use on the Berger 140gr VLD's.   Trying to figure out if I move to a charge based on the lighter bullet weight or start with the 4831sc charge I was using on the heavier bullet.  

56 minutes ago, rcdinaz said:

Is there a big difference in powder loads for these vs the same weight of standard VLD bullets?  I finally got my Badlands but just determined the powder charge I am going to use on the Berger 140gr VLD's.   Trying to figure out if I move to a charge based on the lighter bullet weight or start with the 4831sc charge I was using on the heavier bullet.  

From the Badlands website "..and the best part is that our bullets can be loaded just like any conventional bullet."

I did not notice much difference in charge:velocity:pressure when using either the Badlands Bulldozer or Hammer Hunter vs regular jacketed bullets, unlike needing reduced charges for a Barnes TTSX or Nosler e-tip.  For example I got 3122 fps with 65.5 gr Ramshot Magnum and 130 Swift Scirocco, and 3154fps with 65.5 gr Magnum and 125 Bulldozer.  I had the Bulldozers seated 0.020" off the lands.  I have not tried a Berger VLD with the new barrel.

Thanks!! I am going to set up some starting loads this weekend. 

Took advantage of some light winds in northern Arizona this morning to get out and shoot some of the 124 Hammer Hunters behind H1000 powder.  Sure have had some windy days lately with one having gusts to 65mph.  This is the first group of 5 shots into 0.58" at 100 yards.  3298 fps average with ES of 49 and SD of 17.  The ProChrono lists a deviation up to 1%, so that could be +/- 33 fps, ES 66fps.  So some of the ES of the string could be chronograph error.

ed1000-124-HH.jpg

Ed1000-bench.jpg

• Like 2