Sign in to follow this  
Explorer

Classic knives.

22 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Hey, i’ve got an Solingen too. Great knives. No idea how old mine is. Dad gave it to me a long time ago. 
0F21785C-02E2-4B7C-BBDE-8F9988148769.thumb.jpeg.f8fdbc6bd5e5f9fafd91b63cef7692a6.jpeg

That's a fatty. I think this Solingen is the only peened split tang in my collection...a practice that goes back centuries to early sword making.0414201422.thumb.jpg.993fcb468174cb440abcf045a78346d9.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bucks&bulls said:

A bunch of great knives guys. Delw I am really liking the knife with the curved antler handle.

Dad got that as a retirement gift in 1996 from a employee friend when he retired for the 3rd or 4th time from the same company. the end of the Handle has a small plate with date and retirement info. its pretty nice I missed one picture of it i'll post it when i get home tonight

I love this thread....for me, my knives remind me of so many stories! My Puma Whitehunter is from 1969, but my dad bought it for $20 at a Ham Radio gathering him and I were at up near Munds Park 30 years ago.  The stag handled CaseXX is from my grandpa, who used to be a Case dealer in the family furniture store in KY.  The small skinner also came from my grandpa, made by a local knifemaker who (I believe) is no longer around....John "Grizz" Morgan.  Finally, the red Victorinox seems like no big deal, but is my favorite story.  It's the first knife I ever got, given to me by grandpa as we were working on the roof of his motor home (I'm guessing I was 6 or 7).  I'm not especially known for keeping track of things, so the fact that I was able to keep from losing this knife through high school was a miracle. When I was 18 or 19, I was fishing Page Springs (up near Cottonwood).  I fished the whole day and covered 1+ mile wet wading down the creek. When I got back to the truck, the knife was gone.  I remembered using the scissors to trim tippet through the day, but had no idea where I had it last.  I was heartbroken.  A little over a month later, I was back fishing Page Springs again.  At some point, I just happen to glance down into a riffle and catch a glimpse of red.  Sure enough, it was my knife.  After a good soak and some brushing, she was cleaned up and brand like brand new, and I made sure to keep her tucked safe somewhere to pass on to my own boys with the story!  

IMG_6394.jpeg

IMG_6395.jpeg

IMG_6392.jpeg

IMG_6391.jpeg

• Like 4

Those swiss army knives are the shoot!!! I have a ton of them they made them in all different sizes back in the 90's too. O have one tahts the size of a cigarette pack weights a ton but has everything in it. I'll see if I can find it. I put is away for safe keeping years ago and see it every once in a while

I picked this folder up at a swap meet near Seattle, decades ago.

This lil ol Asian gal had a large jewelry box opened up on a table for folks to rummage through. The moment I picked it up it felt special. I motioned to the seller what I had, "one dolla" she said.

It's about 4" when folded, 8" opened. Stag scales, Sterling silver hilt, guard and bolster. It's a good steel, holds its edge and sharp as a razor. When open, she locks solid and has no play.

Tang reads: Henry Sears Co. Prussia (Pennsylvania)

A little research tells me this knife was built between 1865-1879. 150 years old, built to last, built with American pride.

Valued somewhere between $1 "dolla" and priceless. My youngest daughter loves knives and she's already asked for this one.0505201053a.thumb.jpg.ab208d5a035259e91d52f8c25a5618bf.jpg0505201053.thumb.jpg.ee43a18ded40713a83e8cb751c2b6f44.jpg

• Like 4

Very interesting and entertaining thread. 

This was my grandfather's knife.  The sheath on the right is the original sheath (as far as I know) and the one on the left a custom sheath I had made for it with my grandfather's initials in Greek (his native language) and a whitetail deer for all his time hunting whitetails in Michigan.  He was one of my heroes in life and this knife is a priceless heirloom to me.  I know it's a KA-BAR but apart from that and a little family oral history, I don't know much about it.  If you do, I'd love to hear your thoughts or guesses.  Pics of the tang stamps are below as well.  (I'd guess it was made in the '50s but I could be off by a decade or more in either direction.)

*Edit: an Internet search shows what looks like the same tang stamp with a range of 1927-1945.  Pic below.  That would make since based on what I know about the family history of this knife.

image.jpeg.277a4b143a50a4e3da96b4f8c5d24d38.jpeg

image.png.748f197f75ef01e5183b94c97172944d.png

image.png.9ed4e865252b42e862b0a3795f41eee9.png

image.thumb.jpeg.36478a9a2a637379ae7042c8b2d23863.jpeg

• Like 4

On 4/14/2020 at 7:48 PM, Huntmoore said:

I love this thread....for me, my knives remind me of so many stories! My Puma Whitehunter is from 1969, but my dad bought it for $20 at a Ham Radio gathering him and I were at up near Munds Park 30 years ago.  The stag handled CaseXX is from my grandpa, who used to be a Case dealer in the family furniture store in KY.  The small skinner also came from my grandpa, made by a local knifemaker who (I believe) is no longer around....John "Grizz" Morgan.  Finally, the red Victorinox seems like no big deal, but is my favorite story.  It's the first knife I ever got, given to me by grandpa as we were working on the roof of his motor home (I'm guessing I was 6 or 7).  I'm not especially known for keeping track of things, so the fact that I was able to keep from losing this knife through high school was a miracle. When I was 18 or 19, I was fishing Page Springs (up near Cottonwood).  I fished the whole day and covered 1+ mile wet wading down the creek. When I got back to the truck, the knife was gone.  I remembered using the scissors to trim tippet through the day, but had no idea where I had it last.  I was heartbroken.  A little over a month later, I was back fishing Page Springs again.  At some point, I just happen to glance down into a riffle and catch a glimpse of red.  Sure enough, it was my knife.  After a good soak and some brushing, she was cleaned up and brand like brand new, and I made sure to keep her tucked safe somewhere to pass on to my own boys with the story!  

IMG_6394.jpeg

IMG_6395.jpeg

IMG_6392.jpeg

IMG_6391.jpeg

Really like the grinds on the Puma up top.