Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Turkey experts get in here please.

No expert here but wind is the one thing I absolutely hate on a turkey hunt. They’re out but they seem harder to find and definitely harder to hear. I don’t know if it’s the wind or not but they also seem less responsive to calling. I wish I could tell you where to find them in the wind or how they behave consistently because it would mean I know...

Best bet is to roost a bird if possible, if not, try to find moist drainages with recent sign.  My favorite drainages are finger draws near larger drainages (canyons).  Get comfortable and prepare for an hour sit while occasionally calling, move, repeat.  I don't set up in the bottom of a drainage, usually try to be 75+ yards above the water course.  Remain vigilant, on windy days birds will often remain silent and appear out of nowhere.    Be patient! 

• Like 1

Just hope they are hot and horny. If they are and you do some calling just at dark around the area you should get a few gobbles. Set up next morning in the dark and call at first light. I use an old box call as it is fairly loud then if the bird moves closer I use a mouth call to get them in. Once they commit to moving towards you you have a good chance at killing. The wind is a pain but they will still respond.

• Like 1

lol, dry and moist, hot and horny in the same thread...put the turkey breast in a roasting bag, good as it gets.

• Like 1

I don't know where you are going hunting but in my neck of the woods, every drainage and low spot has water running or standing in it. The rain and snow we received  

last night just added to it. Forget sitting on a water hole unless you like a wet butt. Turkeys can drink anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2020 at 5:08 PM, Little Creek Calls said:

This is the correct answer. Doing your homework scouting and knowing the pattern of the flock will pay off big time on windy days. Work with the wind in your face and you will be able to hear them better. Only down side is you will have to move in closer so they can hear your calling. It can be a lot of fun waiting for them to walk over a ridge or behind trees so you can cut the distance. A couple years ago on a super windy day I followed a flock from a distance for a mile or so before I was able get close enough for them to hear my calling, they came running when we got close enough for them to hear. We could hear them but they couldn't hear us.

Ammon is spot on.  I've called birds in successfully in the wind, but they weren't very talkative.  Gobbled once to let us know he was there, and then came walking in, taking his own sweet time.  I suck with a box call, but they can be good for cutting higher pitched calls into the wind.  I usually go with my diaphragm (my go to, anyway), followed by an aluminum pot call on windy days.  The copper pot calls Ammon makes are also great for windy days, too.  I need to get one!

• Like 2